Robert B. Hubbell is a member of the Securities Litigation, Enforcement, and White-Collar Defense Group. He has more than 20 years of securities litigation and accountants' liability experience - experience that includes defense verdicts before juries and defense awards by arbitration panels.
In addition, Mr. Hubbell has served as lead counsel on a number of complex, multi-jurisdictional matters, including securities class actions, multi-district litigation, consumer class actions and unfair business practice cases. He has represented individuals and companies in connection with SEC and DOJ investigations. He has a broad background in all phases of civil trial practice, including trials, arbitrations and appeals.
Mr. Hubbell received his J.D. degree, magna cum laude, in 1981 from Loyola Law School, where he graduated first in his class and served as Editor-in-Chief of the Loyola of Los Angeles Law Review. He served as a law clerk to the Honorable Stephen Reinhardt of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
Mr. Hubbell is recommended by Legal 500 US 2012 for Securities: Shareholder Litigation, and Best Lawyers in America 2013.
Mr. Hubbell is admitted to practice law in the State of California and before the United States District Courts (Central and Northern Districts of California) and the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
- Defense jury verdict in case against Big Four accounting firm arising out of alleged negligence in connection with due diligence services provided in connection with acquisition by Fortune 500 company.
- Defense jury verdict in case against Big Four accounting firm arising out of alleged negligence in connection with annual audit of financial statements.
- Defense award before arbitration panel in case against Big Four accounting firm for allegedly causing private company to miss "IPO window" in the technology boom of 1999-2000.
- Successful resolution of SEC investigation against Big Four accounting firm arising out of multiple restatements by major media company.
- Favorable resolution by successful motions and related settlements of multiple securities class actions and opt out actions against Big Four accounting firm.
- Favorable resolution and settlement of multiple class actions against pharmaceutical development company and officers arising out failure of drug during Phase II testing of topical analgesic.
- Representation of major pharmaceutical company in multi-district litigation arising out of wholesale pricing policies.
- Represented manufacturer of light aircraft against various business tort and statutory claims arising out of termination of aircraft dealership.
- Successful disposition of unfair business practice claims against auto insurer for business torts allegedly arising out of insurer's national policy for handling property damage claims.
- Favorable resolution of national retailer against consumer class action alleging violation of California privacy and unfair competition laws in connection with credit card purchases.
- Favorable resolution of claims against national computer retailer for alleged violation of California consumer credit laws.
- Ongoing representation of individuals and companies in connection with SEC investigations, shareholder derivative actions, and securities class actions arising out of mortgage credit crisis and stock option dating restatements.
President, Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles, 2000-2001; Courthouse Volunteer, LACBA Domestic Violence Clinic, 1995-1996; Member, Association of Business Trial Lawyers Federal Courts Committee; Member, Board of Directors of Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles; Los Angeles Chapter, Federal Bar Association; American Bar Association; State Bar of California; Los Angeles County Bar Association (Trial Lawyers Section, Legislative Review Committee, 1986 88); Los Angeles County Bar Ethics Committee (1982 83); State Bar Committee on Professional Competence (1983-84).