Mr. Pistillo is a partner in the San Francisco office of the firm’s Federal Tax Group. He regularly advises on the U.S. tax planning aspects of international mergers and acquisitions, corporate restructurings and divestitures and a wide variety of capital markets transactions. His practice also involves tax planning issues pertaining to the private equity transactions and investments, the formation and operation of investment funds, and the coordination of tax laws in multiple jurisdictions to develop and implement overall tax planning, synergies and tax minimization strategies. Mr. Pistillo also regularly advises on the tax planning required for financial product development, joint ventures and insurance company operations.
Mr. Pistillo is a member of the Dean’s Advisory Board at Tulane University School of Law, the Committee on Taxation of Business Entities of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York, and the Tax Review in New York City.
Recent Client Transactions include:
- Represented a consortium of lenders in the financing of the Post Rock project, a 201 MW wind farm in Kansas.
- EDF Renewable Energy (formerly enXco Development Corp.) in its acquisition of a wind-powered electric generating project, including negotiations for a joint venture to develop, construct and operate a neighboring project.
- SoftBank Corp. in connection with its $23.1 billion acquisition of a 70% interest in Sprint Nextel.
- Toshiba Tec Corp. on its $874 million acquisition of the worldwide retail store solutions business of IBM Corp.
- Novellus Inc. in its tax-free stock-for-stock acquisition by Lam Research Corp valued at $878.3 billion.
- Carlyle Group in its acquisition of Walbro Engine Management from Sun Capital Partners and related LBO financing.