David Slotkin is a partner in the firm’s Washington, D.C. office. He is a leading corporate and securities lawyer, and his practice focuses on representing companies and underwriters in debt and equity securities offerings, as well as advising companies on, among other things, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, corporate governance and securities and other compliance matters. David is particularly well known and Chambers rated in the area of real estate investment trusts (REITs).
Mr. Slotkin has been involved in a significant number of capital markets transactions involving both public and private equity and debt offerings, as well as in a wide variety of strategic transactions, including mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, tender offers and joint ventures. Mr. Slotkin also regularly advises members of management, boards of directors, audit committees and special committees on strategic and corporate governance issues, and counsels public companies on all aspects of compliance with the federal securities laws and securities exchange listing standards.
Mr. Slotkin previously practiced law at Hogan Lovells US LLP, and has served as General Counsel of a publicly-traded telecommunications company.
- Representation of Equity Residential in its proposed acquisition of a 26.5 percent ownership interest in Archstone, an owner, operator and developer of multifamily properties, for $1.325 billion
- Represented of UnitedHealth Group, Inc. in over $2 billion in registered debt offerings
- Represented JP Morgan, Citi, Deutsche Bank and KeyBanc in the pending initial public offering of Retail Properties of America, Inc.
- Represented of Dell, Inc. in over $1 billion in securities offerings
- Represented Smithfield Foods, Inc. in over the tender offer and dutch auction tender offer for over $600 mm in senior notes
- Represented Smithfield Foods, Inc. in its 144A offering of $850 million of senior secured notes
- Represented Smithfield Foods, Inc. in its registered offering of over 21 million shares of common stock
- Represented Colony Financial, Inc. in its$55 million private placement of common stock
- Represented Colony Financial, Inc. in its $250 million initial public offering
- Represented Colony Financial, Inc. in its $250 million registered follow-on offering of common stock
- Represented Citigroup, Deutsche Bank and Morgan Stanley in the underwritten public offering of $600 million of senior notes by ERP Operating Limited Partnership, the operating partnership of Equity Residential
- Served as designated underwriter’s counsel for Equity Residential
- Served as Sales Agent’s counsel for Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Wells Fargo, Morgan Stanley, JP Morgan and BNY Mellon in various ATM Programs
- Representation of Archstone-Smith Trust in its $22.2 billion acquisition by a partnership controlled by Tishman Speyer and Lehman Brothers
- Representation of GE Commercial Finance in its $3 billion acquisition of Trustreet Properties, Inc
- Representation of CarrAmerica Realty Corporation in its $5.6 billion acquisition by affiliates of The Blackstone Group
- Representation of GE Commercial Finance in its $2.3 billion disposition of Storage USA to Extra Space Storage and Prudential Real Estate Investors
- Representation of GE Commercial Finance in the disposition of its $1 billion stake in public company through a combination of a common stock offering, forward sales, and stock lending arrangements and an offering of synthetic equity securities
- Representation of a NYSE-listed real estate investment trust in over $1 billion in debt and equity offerings and a major corporate reorganization
- Representation of the special committee of the board of directors of an NYSE-listed mortgage company in connection with its $1.1 billion merger into a related NYSE-listed investment bank
- Representation of a NYSE-listed retail real estate investment trust in its $1.3 billion acquisition of a regional retail real estate investment trust
- Formation and representation of a mortgage real estate investment trust in a $750 million 144A IPO of common stock