Lewis Lee is an associate in the firm's Capital Markets practice in London. He was admitted to practice in England and Wales in 2005 and joined Morrison & Foerster in 2007, having previously worked as an associate in the Derivatives and Structured Finance department of Allen & Overy.
Mr Lee has previously spent ten months on secondment to a major US investment bank, providing trading support in relation to both the equity derivatives desk and debt capital markets transaction management group.
Mr Lee's practice covers a broad range of derivative, structured products and international capital markets transactions. His recent experience includes:
- Advising a major international investment bank with respect to setting up a derivatives trading Joint Venture vehicle in the UK, including analysis with regard to regulatory concerns deriving from the potential impact of the European Market Infrastructure Regulation, the Markets in Financial Instruments Directive and the Capital Requirements Directive;
- Advising the Chapter 11 Trustee of a US holding company (a major derivatives broker-dealer) in respect of client money and client asset issues (in the context of UK regulatory requirements under CASS 3, 6 and 7) relating to transactions entered into with its UK subsidiary
- Advising a Canadian investment bank with operations in the US in respect of its potential reporting requirements under the European Market Infrastructure Regulation;
- Advising US investment funds and investment banks with respect to their reporting and disclosure obligations under the European Short Selling Regulation;
- Advising on the issue of a range of structured notes, including non-cumulative fixed rate perpetual capital notes, commodity index linked notes, constant maturity swap linked notes and credit linked pass through notes;
- Advising on and negotiating derivative products, including ISDA Master agreements and confirmations, stock lending master documentation, rebalancing agreements and account control agreements;
- Advising on the creation, formation and yearly update of a number of Euro Medium Term Note, structured note, certificate and warrant programmes;
- Assisting a South American central bank in respect of various derivatives related matters, including the preparation and negotiation of bespoke master netting agreements, and provision of advice relating to sovereign immunity, counterparty trading terms and MiFID requirements;
- Advising the US liquidator of an investment fund regarding the recovery of subscription proceeds invested in a series of fund linked notes, where the underlying asset was a Bernie Madoff feeder fund;
- Advising an insolvent European investment bank on a range of both contentious and non-contentious matters, including the review of various derivative contracts entered into pre-insolvency (such as swap and stock lending agreements) as well as settlement negotiations with creditors;
- Advising a US liquidator in respect of various client money and asset issues relating to claims connected with certain Repo to Maturity transactions;
- Assisting a group of Taiwanese Banks in the recovery of various claims under the Lehman Brothers group administration.
Mr Lee has also been published in and contributed to industry publications including Derivatives Week (for which Morrison & Foerster was nominated for law firm of the year 2011 and 2012) and DERIVATIVES: Financial Products Report, Thomson Reuters.