Brandon C. Parris is co-chair of the firm’s 390-lawyer Global Corporate Department.
Mr. Parris’ practice primarily focuses on strategic transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, strategic investments, securities offerings, as well as public company counseling. He regularly represents boards of directors, special committees, management teams and companies in a variety of industries, including high-technology, gaming, cleantech, consumer goods and services, life sciences, healthcare, biotechnology, and financial services.
In strategic matters, Mr. Parris has advised companies, special committees and financial advisers in a significant number of mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, private equity investments, tender offers and joint ventures. Through his securities practice, Mr. Parris regularly advises on capital markets transactions involving both public and private equity and debt offerings, as well as transactions concentrated on liability management.
Mr. Parris also advises members of executive management, boards of directors, and special committees on strategic and corporate governance issues, and counsels numerous public companies on all aspects of the Securities Act of 1933 and the Securities Exchange Act of 1934.
Mr. Parris has numerous honors, including being:
- Recommended as a Leading Lawyer by IFLR1000 2014 for M&A in the United States, noting that Mr. Parris is an “exceptional attorney with significant experience and knowledge. He manages negotiations well, and has the maturity and business experience to assist clients in making prudent decisions that help make the deal happen.”
- Recognized by Law 360 in 2014 as an “M&A Heavyweight”
- Selected as the “2012 Legal Advisor of the Year” by The M&A Advisor for his work on transformative merger, acquisition and divestiture transactions
- “Highly recommended" by Legal 500 for his securities work
- Recognized as a BTI Client Service All-Star in 2013 and 2014
Mr. Parris was a Senior Notes and Comments Editor of the UC Davis Law Review.
To view a more complete list of matters, see the Matters tab.
Mergers + Acquisitions and Strategic Matters
- Represented VMware in connection with Dell’s $67 billion acquisition of EMC, VMware’s parent company. VMware is the “crown jewel” in the transaction, and Dell will issue VMware tracking stock.
- Represented SoftBank in a number of transactions, including its acquisition of a 78% stake in wireless operator Sprint Nextel for $21.61 billion; its $4 billion acquisition of the approximately 50% stake in Clearwire Corporation; its $1.26 billion acquisition of a controlling interest in Brightstar Corporation; and its $250 million investment in Legendary Entertainment.
- Represented Boyd Gaming in a number of transactions, including its $1.55 billion acquisition of Peninsula Gaming, LLC; the sale of the South Coast Hotel and Casino, valued at $513 million; its transaction with Harrah’s Entertainment, Inc. exchanging the Barbary Coast Hotel & Casino for land on the Las Vegas Strip valued at $375 million; its $190 million acquisition of Harrah’s Shreveport casino; the sale of the assets related to its iconic Echelon Resorts on the Las Vegas Strip; and its acquisition of Dania Jai Alai.
- Represented Novellus Systems in its $3.3 billion acquisition by Lam Research.
- Represented Westcorp in its $3.91 billion acquisition by Wachovia Corp.
- Represented McKesson Corporation in the sale of ZEE Medical to Cintas Corporation and in the carveout divestiture of its Vital Platform business to Comvest Investment Partners.
- Represented DreamWorks in its joint venture with Technicolor to form a cloud-based content platform for set-top boxes, tablets, and mobile devices, and its joint venture with Infosys for the use of computer animation technology in the design and promotion of consumer goods.
Capital Markets Matters
- Represented Boyd Gaming in its acquisition financing for the Peninsula Gaming acquisition; its $513 million secondary offering; and its $350 million financing.
- Represented Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa in its $950 million financing and dividend recapitalization.
- Represented Southwest Gas Corporation in its $250 million financing.
- Represented The Clorox Company in its $1.65 billion financing.
- Represented Dolby family members in the registered sale of $256 million in equity of Dolby Laboratories, Inc.
- Represented Mindspeed Technologies, Inc. in financings for $28 million.
Liability Management Matters
- Represented UDR, Inc. in its $181 million tender offer for its 6.50% notes.
- Represented Southwest Gas Corporation in its $75 million tender offer for its industrial revenue bonds.
- Represented Boyd Gaming in multiple tender offers for debt securities.
- Represented Mindspeed Technologies, Inc. in its convertible debt exchange offer.