We're proud that our colleagues' achievements are broadly recognized and that the firm has received such consistent recognition for its achievements in such a wide variety of areas. Just take a look.
The American Lawyer
Asian Legal Business
- Won three 2013 Global Legal Awards. SoftBank's acquisition of Sprint was awarded one of four grand prizes, naming it the Global M&A Deal of the Year. MoFo also won Global M&A Deal of the Year, U.S. for SoftBank, and Global Finance Deal of the Year, Private Restructuring for MF Global's global bankruptcy.
- Named to the 2013 A-List, marking the 10th consecutive year the firm has been ranked. The A-List is Am Law's effort to "look beyond pure dollars to quantify the qualities that define the 20 most successful law firms in America" by scoring firms on four factors: revenue per lawyer, pro bono commitment, diversity among lawyers, and associate satisfaction.
- One of the top 10 law firms on the Diversity Scorecard. MoFo has been ranked among the top 10 law firms for overall diversity every year since 2005.
- Won four awards in 2013: International Deal Firm of the Year; IP Law Firm of the Year; Litigation Specialist Law Firm of the Year (for the second year in a row); and TMT Deal of the Year.
- Received national recommendations in 2013 in the areas of Appellate, General Commercial, Intellectual Property, Product Liability, and Securities Litigation.
- Named to three lists on the 2013 Brand Elite Survey: Brand Elite, Movers & Shakers, and Best Brand Builders.
- Named the number six firm on BTI's Client Service 30 list, the top 30 firms in the Client Service A-Team report. The firm has been named in the A-Team report for 12 consecutive years.
- Named the Japan International Firm of the Year for 2014, marking the second year in a row, and the third time in four years MoFo has won the award.
- Recognized with 25 practice rankings and 45 lawyer rankings in the 2014 edition. In Japan, the firm again has more Band 1 practice rankings and more Band 1 (or higher) leading individuals than any other international firm. It also continues to be the only Band 1-ranked firm for Japan: International: Corporate/M&A and for Japan: International: Real Estate.
- Named the 2013 USA Law Firm of the Year.
- Recognized with 37 practice rankings and 40 lawyer rankings in the 2013 edition. Among other highlights, the firm continues to have more lawyers ranked for U.S. Intellectual Property than any other firm; have more lawyers ranked for U.S. Privacy & Data security than any other firm; and to be the only international firm ranked Band 1 for Japan M&A.
- Recognized with four practice rankings and seven lawyer rankings across 10 categories in the 2014 edition.
- Client service is identified among the strengths of the London office. According to clients, our lawyers "genuinely care about their clients' businesses," bringing efficiency, technical ability and "an impressive record of advising on complex global deals and related outsourcing disputes" to the table. MoFo's London lawyers are also described as being "insightful and impressive," able to "think outside the box" and "dedicated to the client."
Corporate Board Member
- Named the 2013 Intellectual Property Firm of the Year and the 2013 Bankruptcy Firm of the Year.
- Recognized with 50 practice area rankings – seven in Band 1 - and 105 lawyer rankings – 17 as a "Star" or in Band 1 in the 2013 edition.
- Named to the annual list of America's Best Corporate Law Firms. MoFo was named to both the magazine's top 25 rankings, one that surveyed general counsel and the other that surveyed officers and directors.
The Human Rights Campaign Foundation
- Named to the number six spot on the 2013 FT 40, a list of the firms with the highest aggregate scores across the categories of the FT U.S. Innovative Lawyers Report. The firm also received recognition in the corporate category for its representation of SoftBank in its $21.6 billion acquisition of Sprint; in the finance category for both its work on the Residential Capital bankruptcy proceedings and the MF Global bankruptcy settlement; and in the "business of law" category for its "unique" partnership with the California Institute of Technology to develop the firm's associates while simultaneously attracting new business and talent.
- Received a perfect rating by The Human Rights Campaign Foundation on its 2013 Corporate Equity Index reflecting the firm's ongoing commitment to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) Equality. MoFo has received a perfect score every year since 2003.
- Recognized with 28 practice area rankings around the world in the 2014 edition. The firm also had 34 individuals named Leading Lawyers – those who are at the top of their field – and six recognized as Rising Stars.
Legal 500 Asia-Pacific
- Named to the 2013 list of the nation's top pro bono firms. MoFo is one of only three firms that has been honored every year since the list's inception.
- Won three 2013 Practice Group of the Year awards, including M&A Group of the Year for the second year in a row, Tax Group of the Year, and White Collar Group of the Year. In 2012 the firm won seven Practice Group of the Year Awards – more than any other firm. The selected practices were Appellate, Bankruptcy, Employment, Intellectual Property, M&A, Privacy & Consumer Protection, and Project Finance.
Legal 500 Latin America
- Recognized with 22 practice area rankings across Asia. MoFo remains the only firm ranked in Band 1 in Legal 500 for Technology across China, Hong Kong, and the United States. The firm is also ranked Band 1 across multiple categories in Japan, including M&A, Dispute Resolution, Intellectual Property, Projects and Energy, and Real Estate.
Legal 500 UK
- Recognized in the 2013 edition as one of the leading international firms advising on projects and energy work in the Latin America region.
Legal 500 US
- Recognized with 15 practice group rankings and 38 individual lawyer recommendations in the 2013 edition.
- One of the top five firms for the most total rankings in the 2013 edition, having received 49 practice area rankings and 155 individual recommendations. Among the individuals, 18 were highlighted in the elite Leading Lawyers list – those considered to be at the very top of their field.
The National Law Journal
- Named Law Firm of the Year at the 5th Annual International M&A Awards.
- Won two awards at the 2013 M&A Advisor Awards, including M&A Deal of the Year (Over $1 Billion) and Legal Advisor of the Year for Rob Townsend. In 2010 and 2011, the organization named MoFo the U.S. Law Firm of the Year.
- Named to the 2013 and 2012 editions of the Intellectual Property Hot List, a selection of 20 firms that "demonstrated creative, formidable talent in litigation, patent prosecution and deal-making."
U.S. News & World Report/Best Lawyers
- Named the 2013 California Product Liability Firm of the Year. The firm also received an honorable mention in the overall California Litigation Department of the Year category and was a finalist in the California Intellectual Property category.
- For the second year in a row, MoFo placed in the top five, out of more than 12,000 firms, for the total number of first-tier nationwide rankings in U.S. News – Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" report. MoFo has ranked in the top 10 every year since the report began in 2009. We are also the top firm in California, San Francisco, and Financial Services Regulation Law based on the number of tier-one rankings. We also took top honors as "Law Firm of the Year" in Financial Services Regulation Law and, for the second year in a row, in Information Technology Law.
- Ranked the #1 law firm in Northern California for the second year in a row, as well as the #1 law firm in the Clean Tech/Renewable Energy and Technology practice areas. In addition, the firm was ranked as a top 25 law firm in Vault Law 100's overall law firm rankings for the third year in a row in its annual list of top 100 law firms in the United States.