Morrison & Foerster has an in-depth knowledge and experience of sourcing transactions in China and Asia in a wide range of industries including banking, finance and insurance; manufacturing; media, communications and technology and retail. Our lawyers have provided transactional and regulatory support to both service providers and users across a broad spectrum of sourcing transactions including:
- IT Outsourcing. The outsourcing of mainframes, servers, desktops, network infrastructure, maintenance and helpdesk functions, including issues such as offshore delivery models, transferring staff and assets, intellectual property matters, service levels, benchmarking, technology refresh, obtaining 3rd party consents and exit management.
- Services Procurement and Delivery. The procurement and/or delivery of horizontal business functions such as HR administration, payroll, finance and accounting and procurement as well as vertical business processes such as customer helpdesk and back office administration.
- Licensing. Intellectual property (IP) related transactions, including software development agreements, licensing models, IP registration and protection and escrow arrangements.
- Restructuring and Hive Down Arrangements. The hive down of existing internal service providing assets within a business in order to enable the expansion of services to external clients, including due diligence, transferring staff and assets, corporate restructuring, preparation of standard contracts and IP licensing models.
- Regulatory Support. Providing regulatory support for both service providers and users of outsourced services in China, including cross border regulatory issues such as technology transfer, telecoms licensing, data privacy and encryption control issues.
Our China Sourcing Practice is recognized as a leading firm for technology and outsourcing work in Hong Kong and China. Asia Pacific Legal 500 recognizes our practice in the first tier for technology work in China and since 2006, has ranked us as the only law firm in tier one for technology work in Hong Kong. Chambers and Partners ranks the firm as a tier one law firm for technology work in Hong Kong and China. The PLC Which Lawyer? and Global Counsel both highly recommend the firm for outsourcing, IT and telecoms in Hong Kong and China.
Our China team is supported by a Global Sourcing Practice with more than 60 experienced sourcing lawyers in our US, European and Asian offices to provide a seamless global service on all aspects of sourcing.