Morrison & Foerster antitrust lawyers are recognized leaders in the courtroom, the boardroom, and the halls of government. We are trial lawyers who have a knack for resolving complex antitrust cases through dispositive motions, but are capable of taking any case to trial. We are strategic counselors who partner with our clients to develop business strategies to enhance their competitiveness. We are agency experts who draw on a deep well of experience, including service as high-level officials, to obtain successful results in criminal and civil investigations and merger reviews. With leading antitrust lawyers in major business centers in the U.S., Europe, and Asia, we provide these services seamlessly to clients doing business worldwide.
We have litigated antitrust cases throughout the country. We recently won dismissals of seven large antitrust class actions in California, Georgia, New York, Oklahoma, and Massachusetts. We are currently representing clients in several multi-jurisdictional criminal and civil investigations. Our merger teams have obtained governmental approval for countless transactions, including two of the largest mergers in the last few years.
We work with clients in every industry sector, from computers to cleaning products, phones to pharmaceuticals, and technology to transportation.
Our clients tell us that what distinguishes us from other law firms is our in-depth understanding of their businesses and the industries in which they compete, our practical approach to problem-solving, our commitment to teamwork and putting our client's needs first, and our ability to provide integrated antitrust representation across the globe.
Recent Representative Experience
- Represent a financial institution in an MDL proceeding that consists of a class action brought on behalf of every merchant in the U.S. who accepts Visa and MasterCard payment cards, alleging price-fixing and tying claims and more than 10 actions by a number of large merchants making parallel claims. This is the largest private antitrust case ever brought.
- Successfully represented a major international transportation company in the U.S., EU, Brazil, and Asia in connection with an investigation of alleged price-fixing in the freight forwarding industry and related class action civil litigation.
- Won Ninth Circuit affirmance of motion to dismiss putative antitrust class action relating to late fees charged by banks.
- Won dismissal with prejudice of a putative class action in the pharmaceutical industry seeking billions of dollars in damages for alleged price-fixing.
- Won Ninth Circuit affirmance of summary judgment in a putative class action in the financial services industry for alleged price-fixing in the ATM industry.
- Won Second Circuit affirmance of dismissal with prejudice of an antitrust action brought by a patent troll.
- Won approval for ON Semiconductor Inc.’s $400 million acquisition of Aptina Imaging.
- Won approval for SoftBank’s $21.6 billion acquisition of a 78% stake in Sprint Nextel.
- Won approval for Arbitron Inc.’s $1.3 billion acquisition by Nielsen Holdings N.V.
- Won approval for Yahoo!’s $640 million acquisition of BrightRoll.
- Won approval for Pinnacle Entertainment’s $2.8 billion acquisition of Ameristar Casinos, Inc.
- Won approval for the $4.8 billion sale of Hitachi GST to Western Digital.
- Won approval for the €1.6 billion acquisition of Georgia-Pacific’s European tissue operations by Svenska Cellulosa Aktiebolaget SCA AB.
- Represent Sumitomo Corporation in its joint venture with The Japan Steel Works, Ltd. and Gerdau S.A., the largest steelmaker in Brazil, to manufacture and sale of forged parts for wind power generation.
- Successfully represented a major Japanese consumer electronics manufacturer in Commission proceedings and in front of the European courts regarding the cathode ray tubes cartel.
- Represent Air Liquide Japan Ltd. (ALJ) in connection with JFTC’s investigation of its alleged cartel with three other companies in the industrial gas segment and related proceedings before the Tokyo High Court.
- Represent a major Japanese conglomerate and its subsidiary in the ongoing cartel investigation of manufacturers of rechargeable batteries in Europe, in U.K. litigation, and in class action litigation in the U.S.
- Represent a major Japanese conglomerate in the EU Commission’s ongoing investigation of alleged collusion in the auto parts industry.