Our Southeast Asia practice provides advice and forward-thinking solutions for the region’s most prominent and groundbreaking transactions and cases.
From our hub in Singapore, our partners have many years of collective experience advising clients throughout all the countries in South and Southeast Asia. We offer on-the-ground, market-leading capabilities in:
Corporate & Finance
Mergermarket recently reported that Morrison & Foerster achieved the highest gross M&A deal value among international law firms for Southeast Asia in the first quarter of 2019.
Since 2015, we have advised on transactions in this region worth more than US$55 billion, including:
- JT Group on its acquisition of the tobacco business of Akij Group for a total of BDT 124.3 billion (approximately US$1.476 billion), reportedly the largest M&A deal in Bangladeshi history
- GLP Pte. Ltd. on its US$11.64 billion privatization, reported to be the largest-ever private equity buyout of an Asian company by enterprise value
- JT International SA on its acquisition of the assets related to the tobacco business of Mighty Corporation for a total of US$936 million, one of the largest M&A deals by value in the Philippines in 2017
- Axiata Group Berhad, one of Asia’s largest telecommunications companies, on its US$1.3 billion acquisition of Nepal’s number one mobile operator, Ncell Private Limited
- MUFG Bank, Ltd., as mandated lead arranger and underwriter of acquisition facilities, on two strategic acquisitions from LafargeHolcim Ltd aggregating close to US$1 billion by Siam City Cement Public Company Limited, a listed company on the Stock Exchange of Thailand and Thailand’s second largest cement producer
- BlackRock, an American global investment management corporation, in relation to offshore and onshore acquisition financing, and on the acquisition of two Shanghai office blocks of grade-A office buildings in Changning, Shanghai, from PGIM, Inc. Real Estate, a property investment affiliate of Prudential Financial
- Bank of America, N.A. and Citibank, N.A. as mandated lead arrangers of US$339 million worth acquisition facilities for the pre-IPO financing for the Keppel-KBS US REIT listing, one of the largest property trust IPOs on the SGX
Investigations & Regulatory Compliance
We conduct cross-border internal investigations and counsel clients regarding potential violations of anti corruption laws, including the FCPA, UK Bribery Act, data privacy regulations, anti-money laundering regulations, sanctions and export control. We advise clients on strategies to mitigate compliance risk, including conducting risk assessments, developing compliance programs and procedures and conducting training. We also provide support for compliance related M&A and third party due diligence.
Dispute Resolution, Litigation, & Arbitration
We advise clients on contentious matters and appear in arbitration proceedings. If matters go to court in jurisdictions where we do not have the right of audience, we work seamlessly with trusted local counsel.
Recent examples of our work include representing:
- A leading Southeast Asian telecommunications group in a complex dispute with a European telecommunications giant arising out of the sale and acquisition of a telecommunications company in a challenging emerging market
- A luxury hotel chain in a dispute concerning management agreements for a luxury resort in Malaysia
- A Chinese energy company in an arbitration seated in Singapore against an Indonesian mining company in relation to a coal supply agreement
- An international manufacturing company that required a risk assessment and litigation strategy in connection with a large acquisition in the Philippines
Where We Succeed
We represent clients across Southeast Asia in the following countries: