Amit has extensive experience advising on mergers and acquisitions, private equity investments, securities offerings, as well as a broad range of cross-border transactional and corporate advisory matters. He represents corporations, financial sponsors, and their portfolio companies in global mergers and acquisitions across a wide range of industries, including Technology, Financial services, Biotech, Hospitality, Insurance, Logistics, Manufacturing, Pharmaceuticals, and Real estate.
Amit focuses on advising strategic acquirers and financial investors in connection with global cross-border transactions involving the United States of America, Europe, Latin America, China, South Korea, India, rest of South Asia, and South East Asia.
Amit has been named Dealmaker of the Year by multiple publications. He has been described by clients in Legal 500 UK as “a seasoned partner who is able to negotiate our interests and give valuable insights into structure and risk. His knowledge of the subject is vast and his team works as one”, and being “laser-focused on delivering high-quality commercial results and taking advantage of open opportunities to shape legal protections around the edges of definitive agreements. One of the most responsive partners we have ever worked with.” Other clients said they appreciated Amit’s "take-no-prisoners approach to negotiations and drafting", and that "working with Amit has been a fantastic experience.” Others have said that he was “very prompt in anticipating potential roadblocks in a transaction and finds innovative solutions to address such roadblocks.”
Amit has been recognized by Chambers Asia-Pacific as one of the leading lawyers for India corporate and M&A work, where a client commented that his “meticulous attention to detail in drafting and his grasp of the Indian cultural nuances make his assistance invaluable to foreign clients operating in India”, and another source says: "His strength is his attention to detail and ability to negotiate in multiple languages and formats."
Amit has practiced in New York, London, Hong Kong, and India.
United States of America
- Represented SoftBank Vision Fund II in its investments in Meesho Inc., a Delaware incorporated holding company operating a social (reselling) commerce platform with operations primarily in South and Southeast Asia.
- Represented SoftBank Vision Fund II in its investment in Skedulo Holdings, Inc., a Delaware incorporated holding company providing a cloud-based platform to manage mobile workface in organizations.
- Represented SoftBank Vision Fund II’s in its investment in Sense Talent Labs, Inc., a Delaware incorporated holding company providing an all-in-one hiring platform for recruiters and customers.
- Represented Identity Intelligence Group, provider of a range of services in the areas of security, including identity theft protection, credit scores and reports, data breaches, and security awareness training, on its internal restructuring prior to the sale of a majority stake to affiliates of Corsair Capital.
- Represented Autodesk, Inc. on its acquisition of Pype Inc.
- Represented Tinicum L.P. on certain matters in its acquisition of a controlling interest in Robert Family Holdings, LLC.
- Represented SoftBank Vision Fund II in its investment in Vestiaire Collective, a global fashion e-commerce app for used consumer-wear products.
- Represented SoftBank Vision Fund II in its investment in Behavox Ltd., a leading contender in the emerging AI-driven compliance monitoring and “people analytics” sector.
- Represented SoftBank Vision Fund II in its investment in Copado Solutions, S.L., a Spanish company that provides end to end native DevOps solution to admins, architects and developers on one platform.
- Represented SoftBank Vision Fund II in its investment in Enpal GmbH.
- Represented a large multi-national technology investor on the restructuring of two joint ventures with a global e-hospitality chain, which focuses on the financing and management in its principal jurisdictions including Europe, United States, India and other countries in Asia.
- Represented DLF Global Hospitality in its sale of Silverlink Resorts Limited, the holding company for Amanresorts.
Asia (ex-India and Middle East)
- Represented SoftBank Vision Fund in several financing rounds of Grofers International Pte. Ltd., an express delivery online marketplace application in India.
- Represented SoftBank Vision Fund II in its investment in Eruditus Learning Solutions Pte. Ltd., a Singapore incorporated multi-national executive EdTech company with presence in India, China, U.S., U.A.E., Europe and Latin America.
- Represented BlackRock in the investment by certain BlackRock investment funds in their investment in Trax Ltd, a retail software company with a unicorn valuation.
- Represented the SoftBank Group in its acquisition of MDI, a Japan based apartment rental firm.
- Represented GPI Capital in its investment in Grab Holdings, Inc.
- Represented the Special Committee of China Hydroelectric Corporation in its going private acquisition by a consortium led by NewQuest Capital Partners and its affiliates.
- Represented Cargotec Corporation in its acquisition of 49% interest in China Crane.
- Represented AIG in the proposed sale of its Asian Life Insurance Unit (AIA) to Prudential PLC.
- Represented MassMutual in the sale of its interest in its Taiwan-based affiliate, MassMutual Mercuries Life Insurance Co.
- Represented SoftBank Vision Fund II in its investment, as lead investor, in Zeta Investments Holdings Pte. Ltd., a Dubai headquartered, Singapore incorporated multi-national unicorn with operations in the US, Europe, UAE, Asia and Latin America, which provides SaaS to financial institutions for payment processing solutions, authentication, and fraud and risk management.
- Represented SoftBank Vision Fund II in its investment in Kitopi, a ‘ghost-kitchen’ based in the UAE.
- Represented SoftBank Vision Fund II (as lead investor) in its investment in Unifonic Inc., a B.V.I. incorporated, Saudi-based customer engagement platform.
- Represented SoftBank Vision Fund as lead investor in multiple financing rounds in OYO Rooms, a leading global hospitality business.
- Represented SoftBank Vision Fund in its follow-on investment in Ola Cabs, India’s leading mobile application for cab booking, integrating city transportation for customers and drivers onto a technology platform.
- Represented SoftBank Vision Fund in its investment in One 97 Communications Limited, a digital payments system, e-commerce and financial services company.
- Represented SoftBank Vision Fund II (as the lead investor) in its investment in Juspay Technologies, a digital mobile payments solution provider in India.
- Represented SoftBank Vision Fund as a selling shareholder in the initial public offering of One 97 Communications Limited, a digital payments system, e-commerce and financial services company.
- Represented SoftBank Vision Fund as a selling shareholder in the initial public offering of PB Fintech Limited, a company operating an online platform for insurance and lending products.
- Represented SoftBank in its further investment in Snapdeal, which included investments by Alibaba and Foxconn.
- Represented BlackRock in its investment in Byju’s, an India-based EdTech company which was reported to valued at over $11 billion.
- Represented BlackRock in the investment by certain BlackRock investment funds in the investment in Pine Labs Pte. Ltd., a Singapore incorporated holding company that operates a merchant platform in India on financing and last-mile retail transaction technology.
- Represented Composite Capital in its investment in M-League Pte. Ltd. (Mobile Premier League), a Singapore incorporated mobile gaming company with operations in South Asia and Southeast Asia.
- Represented Composite Capital in its investment in MogliLabs, which owns and operates B2B industrial goods marketplace Moglix. Moglix is pioneering modern, technology-enabled solutions for B2B commerce.
- Represented Morgan Stanley Real Estate Fund in its acquisition of a majority stake in KSH Infra Private Limited, a warehousing and logistics park developer.
- Represented IndoSpace in the formation of IndoSpace Logistics Parks III, its US$580 million India-focused industrial real estate fund.
- Represented IndoSpace in the formation of IndoSpace Core, its US$1.2 billion joint venture with Canada Pension Plan Investment Board which will focus on acquiring and developing modern logistics facilities in India.
- Represented SoftBank in connection with the merger of its portfolio company Locon Solutions Private Limited (Housing.com), an Indian real estate portal, and Elara Technologies Pte. Ltd., Singapore (PropTiger).
- Represented SoftBank in connection with its proposed joint venture with Bharti Enterprises and Foxconn Technology to develop solar power projects across India, including Rajasthan and Andhra Pradesh, following on the Indian Prime Minister’s target of developing 100GW of solar power capacity in the country by 2022.
- Represented Hitachi and Hitachi Appliances in a mandatory tender offer for shares of Bombay Stock Exchange and National Stock Exchange-listed Hitachi Home and Life Solutions India Ltd (HHLI) triggered by Hitachi’s formation of a global air conditioning joint venture with Johnson Controls. In the venture, Johnson Controls obtained a 60% ownership stake in Hitachi’s more than US$2.6 billion global air conditioning business, including Hitachi’s interests in HHLI and the parties’ other affiliates across 24 countries throughout Asia, Europe, and Latin America.
- Represented QuEST in its acquisition of Network Systems.
- Represented ASSA ABLOY in its acquisition of Enox Brand in India.
- Represented Smith & Nephew in its acquisition of Adler Mediequip.
- Represented Warburg Pincus in its investment in Quikr.
- Represented Indiabulls Group in its internal reorganization and the demerger of Indiabulls Infrastructure and Power Limited (IIPL) from Indiabulls Real Estate Limited (IBREL) and an SLB 4 distribution and listing of Global Depository Receipts (GDRs) of IIPL on the Luxembourg Stock Exchange.
- Represented Indiabulls Housing Finance Limited in its amalgamation with Indiabulls Financial Services Limited and listing of IHFL’s Global Depository Receipts on the Luxembourg Stock Exchange.