Anna has more than 25 years of experience in securities and other complex, high-stakes civil litigation. She has represented companies, as well as their officers and directors, in securities class actions, derivative suits, merger and acquisition litigation, and general commercial disputes. She also regularly advises boards and management on disclosure and high-profile governance issues. Her clients span a range of industries including technology, life sciences, renewable energy, gaming, and financial services.
Anna is a frequent speaker on securities litigation and corporate governance topics and is regularly quoted in publications such as the Daily Journal, The Recorder, and Law360. Some recent engagements include:
- Stanford Directors' College
- Practising Law Institute
- Benchmark Women in Litigation
- Women in Securities (WISe)
- Directors Roundtable
In recognition of her ability to add real value to clients’ businesses above and beyond other players in the market, Anna was named a Client Choice Award winner. She is also recommended by Legal500 US for shareholder litigation and was named a Woman Worth Watching by Profiles in Diversity Journal in 2014.
In addition to her practice, Anna currently serves on the firm’s executive committee, compensation committee, and board of directors. She has also twice served as a firmwide managing partner, from 2006 to 2009 and 2012 to 2015.
Anna received her J.D. from Stanford Law School in 1992. She received her B.A. from University of California, Berkeley, in 1985.
Before attending law school, Anna was a Peace Corps volunteer in Cameroon, Central Africa, where she helped start and advise cooperative credit unions.
Anna’s representations have led to many significant victories for her clients, including:
- In re First Solar Inc. Securities Litigation (District of Arizona; Ninth Circuit). Affirming dismissal of derivative suit for failure to plead futility
- Greenberg v. Sunrun Inc. (Northern District of California). Dismissed with prejudice on first motion to dismiss
- In re Yahoo! Inc. Securities Litigation (Northern District of California; Ninth Circuit). Affirming dismissal of securities class action against Yahoo! and former officers
- In re JDS Uniphase Securities Litigation (Northern District of California). Jury verdict on behalf of JDSU and former executives in a case seeking $20 billion for alleged securities fraud and insider trading
- Jacobs v. Yang (Delaware Chancery; Delaware Supreme Court). Affirming dismissal of derivative suit filed against Yahoo! Officers
- In re Ocera Therapuetics, Inc. (Northern District of California; Ninth Circuit). Affirming dismissal of class action related to Ocera’s merger with Mallinckrodt plc.
Some of Anna’s other representative matters include defending:
- Prothena and its officers in a federal securities class action in the Southern District of New York. The case settled on favorable terms before a motion to dismiss was filed.
- Hortonworks, Inc. and its officers in a federal securities class action. After the motion to dismiss was granted the case settled on favorable terms.
- Fitbit Inc. and its officers and directors in federal and state securities class actions, which were settled on favorable terms. The derivative actions are pending in California and Delaware.
- Zynga Inc. and its directors and officers in a federal securities class action, two state class actions, and various derivative actions pending in California and Delaware. The federal securities class action and the Delaware class action were settled on favorable terms and the California class action was voluntarily dismissed.
- Former directors and officers of UCBH Holdings, Inc., in a federal securities class action, a shareholder derivative action, FDIC claims, a bankruptcy action, and related investigations and proceedings.
- Novellus Systems, Inc. and its directors in a consolidated class action in Santa Clara Superior Court arising from its merger with Lam Research Corporation.
- Yahoo! Inc. and its directors in a consolidated class action in the Delaware Court of Chancery resulting from its merger with interCLICK, Inc.
- Former outside directors of Countrywide Financial Corp. in various securities class actions and shareholder derivative actions.
- Altera Corporation and current and former officers and directors in derivative suits concerning stock option practices. The action was dismissed with prejudice.
- Wonder Auto Technology, Inc., in a federal securities class action in the Southern District of New York and derivative actions in state and federal court in Nevada.
- Former directors of Wachovia and Wells Fargo in a securities class action and derivative action in the Northern District of California.
- Special Litigation Committee of the Board of Cisco Systems, Inc., in investigating derivative shareholder claims against directors and officers, and related derivative litigation.
- Oracle Corporation in related derivative actions in Delaware and California. Summary judgment was granted for defendants in the Delaware action.
- CIENA Corp./ONI Systems, Inc. and its officers and directors in a consolidated class action in Santa Clara Superior Court arising out of a merger. The case was dismissed with prejudice.