David Slotkin serves as co-chair of the REIT practice and is based in the firm’s Washington, D.C. office. He is a leading corporate and securities lawyer, and his practice focuses on representing companies and underwriters in debt and equity securities offerings, as well as advising companies on, among other things, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, corporate governance and securities and other compliance matters. David is particularly well known and Chambers rated in the area of real estate investment trusts (REITs).
Mr. Slotkin has been involved in a significant number of capital markets transactions involving both public and private equity and debt offerings, as well as in a wide variety of strategic transactions, including mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, tender offers and joint ventures. Mr. Slotkin also regularly advises members of management, boards of directors, audit committees and special committees on strategic and corporate governance issues, and counsels public companies on all aspects of compliance with the federal securities laws and securities exchange listing standards.
Earlier in his career, Mr. Slotkin served as General Counsel of a publicly-traded telecommunications company.
- Represented MedEquities Realty Trust, Inc. (NYSE: MRT) in its merger with Omega Healthcare Investors, Inc. for an approximate value of $600 million
- Represented underwriters in ERP Operating Limited Partners, a subsidiary of Equity Residential (NYSE: EQR) in its of $400 million public offering of notes
- Represented EdR (NYSE: EDR), one of the nation’s largest developers, owners, and managers of high-quality collegiate housing communities, in its US$4.6 billion all-cash sale to a newly formed perpetual life vehicle led by an affiliate of Greystar Real Estate Partners
- Represented Sprint Corp. and SoftBank Group Corp., the controlling shareholder of Sprint, on the proposed all stock merger of Sprint and T-Mobile US Inc. The total implied enterprise value for Sprint in the transaction was approximately $59 billion and the aggregate for the combined company enterprise value was approximately $146 billion
- Represented Trade Street Residential, Inc. in its definitive merger agreement with Independence Realty Trust, Inc.
- Represented Inovalon Holdings, Inc. in its approximately $685 million initial public offering
- Represented AmREIT, Inc. in its $763 million acquisition by EDENS
- Represented GLP Pte. Ltd., the leading provider of modern logistics facilities in China, Japan and Brazil, in an $8.1 billion co-investment with an affiliate of Singapore sovereign wealth fund GIC Pte. Ltd. to buy one of the largest logistics real estate portfolios in the United States from the Blackstone Group.
- Represented TMI Hospitality, which operates approximately 188 hotels across 26 states, in its sale to funds managed by Starwood Capital
- Represented underwriters in a $1.2 billion bond offering by ERP Operating Limited Partners, a subsidiary of Equity Residential
- Represented Marrone Bio Innovations, Inc. in its $50 million follow-on offering of 5,175,000 shares of its common stock at $9.50 per share
- Represented Pinnacle Entertainment, Inc. in its $2.8 billion acquisition of Ameristar Casinos, Inc.
- Represented Goldman, Sachs & Co. in Lehman Brothers’ block trade of $875 million of common shares of Equity Residential
- Represented underwriters including Citigroup, Morgan Stanley, and RBC Capital Markets in a $500 million public debt offering by issuer ERP Operating Limited Partnership
- Represented DaVita Inc. in its $4.42 billion acquisition of HealthCare Partners Holdings, LLC
- Represented UDR, Inc. in the $561 million public offering of common stock
- Represented the underwriters in the initial public offering of Retail Properties of America, Inc.
- Represented underwriters in Equity Residential’s public offering of $1.2 billion of common shares
- Represented Equity Residential in a joint agreement with AvalonBay Communities acquisition of a vast portfolio of U.S. apartment properties owned by Archstone. Equity Residential and AvalonBay acquired the portfolio from the Lehman Brothers estate for approximately $16 billion. (The largest real estate transaction in 2012 and named 2012 Global PERE Awards “North America Exit of the Year”)
- Represented Equity Residential in its proposed acquisition of a 26.5 percent ownership interest in Archstone, an owner, operator and developer of multifamily properties, for $1.325 billion
- Represented of UnitedHealth Group, Inc. in over $2 billion in registered debt offerings
- Represented of Dell, Inc. in over $1 billion in securities offerings · Represented Smithfield Foods, Inc. in over the tender offer and dutch auction tender offer for over $600 mm in senior notes
- Represented Smithfield Foods, Inc. in its 144A offering of $850 million of senior secured notes
- Represented Smithfield Foods, Inc. in its registered offering of over 21 million shares of common stock
- Represented Colony Financial, Inc. in its$55 million private placement of common stock
- Represented Colony Financial, Inc. in its $250 million initial public offering
- Represented Colony Financial, Inc. in its $250 million registered follow-on offering of common stock
- Represented Citigroup, Deutsche Bank and Morgan Stanley in the underwritten public offering of $600 million of senior notes by ERP Operating Limited Partnership, the operating partnership of Equity Residential
- Served as designated underwriter’s counsel for Equity Residential
- Representation of Archstone-Smith Trust in its $22.2 billion acquisition by a partnership controlled by Tishman Speyer and Lehman Brother
- Representation of GE Commercial Finance in its $3 billion acquisition of Trustreet Properties, Inc.
- Representation of CarrAmerica Realty Corporation in its $5.6 billion acquisition by affiliates of The Blackstone Group
- Representation of GE Commercial Finance in its $2.3 billion disposition of Storage USA to Extra Space Storage and Prudential Real Estate Investors
- Representation of GE Commercial Finance in the disposition of its $1 billion stake in public company through a combination of a common stock offering, forward sales, and stock lending arrangements and an offering of synthetic equity securities
- Representation of a NYSE-listed real estate investment trust in over $1 billion in debt and equity offerings and a major corporate reorganization
- Representation of the special committee of the board of directors of an NYSE-listed mortgage company in connection with its $1.1 billion merger into a related NYSE-listed investment bank
- Representation of a NYSE-listed retail real estate investment trust in its $1.3 billion acquisition of a regional retail real estate investment trust
- Formation and representation of a mortgage real estate investment trust in a $750 million 144A IPO of common stock