Michael A. Doherty is senior of counsel in the New York office and a member of the firm's Corporate Department. Mr. Doherty's practice focuses primarily on the representation of Japanese companies and their foreign affiliates as well as U.S. and international technology companies in mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and strategic alliances, technology and intellectual property licensing, and other corporate and commercial transactions.
Mr. Doherty has represented domestic and foreign companies in a variety of industries, including: technology, media, consumer products, life sciences, telecommunications, energy, mining, chemicals, electronics and real estate.
Selected representations by Mr. Doherty appear below.
- Represented Hitachi Metals, Ltd. in connection with patent license agreements and settlement agreements concluded in relation to an investigation at the U.S. International Trade Commission involving infringement of certain Hitachi Metals sintered rare earth magnet patents.
- Represented OpenLink Financial LLC in its acquisitions of SolArc, Inc., CubeLogic Limited, MCG Energy Solutions, LLC and dbc SMARTsoftware Inc.
- Represented Sumitomo Corporation and Sumitomo Corporation of America in the divestiture of Cantex, Inc.
- Represented Takashimaya Co., Ltd. in connection with the sale of Takashimaya Building at 693 Fifth Ave. in New York City to Thor Equities.
- Represented A&E Television Networks in its purchase of the equity interest of ASTRO All Asia Entertainment Networks in AETN All Asia Networks.
- Represented a Japanese consumer electronics company in connection with its acquisition (by way of license) of the North American television and video business of another substantial consumer electronics company.
- Represented a Japanese trading company and its U.S. subsidiary in connection with their joint venture with a Canadian public company with respect to the Canadian public company's uranium mining assets in New Mexico.
- Represented a Japanese industrial company through its civil engineering division in connection with its acquisition of a U.S. company whose business is focused on pipe lining and sewage rehabilitation.
- Represented Open Link Financial, Inc. in the sale of a majority equity interest to The Carlyle Group.
- Represented Open Link Financial, Inc. in its $210 million sale of a majority equity interest to TA Associates.
- Represented Exstream Software, Inc. in the sale of a majority equity interest to American Capital Strategies, Ltd.
- Represented Japanese trading company and its U.S. subsidiary in connection with their acquisition of a natural gas-fired cogeneration facility in Oregon from a U.S. electric utility.
- Represented a Japanese trading company and its U.S. subsidiary in a series of asset acquisitions for the acquisition of U.S. regional distribution businesses for automotive tires and excavation equipment, respectively.