Oliver helps investors, operators, and other market participants do business in the European real estate markets. He has over 20 years of experience, working on a wide variety of transactions, from major developments, joint ventures, club deals, and strategic M&A deals involving real estate assets or real estate–intensive businesses (such as hotels, hospitals, or even football clubs) to real estate fund formation and restructuring transactions. As well as having acted on deals in most European jurisdictions, Oliver has also helped clients with investments in a number of Middle East and African countries.
Oliver leads the firm’s private equity real estate team in London and represents a range of clients, including some of the world’s largest private equity real estate firms, real estate investors, asset managers and developers.
Clients have described Oliver as a “rare talent” and praised him for being “incredibly responsive,” for his “quiet and calm” style, and for getting the “balance right in providing clear, concise and technically sound advice with a commercial and pragmatic approach.”
- Acted for Acacia Point Capital Advisors in relation to the €150 million acquisition of fifteen buildings located on the Quinta da Fonte Business Park near Lisbon, Portugal in a joint venture with a global investment firm, Sixth Street Partners. It is likely to be one of Portugal’s biggest real estate deals of the year (2021).
- Acted for a fund advised by Patron Capital Partners on its £100 million joint venture in the affordable housing sector, in a deal that saw Patron partner with Oak Housing, a registered provider and manager of affordable housing in the United Kingdom owned by real estate investment firms T&B Capital and BMOR (2021).
- Advised Trinity Investment Management in a landmark deal of comprising the £120 million acquisition of the BioCity Group by Trinity’s life sciences real estate joint venture with Harrison Street Real Estate, and the subsequent hiving out by that joint venture of all BioCity’s non-real estate assets and operating business to be merged with those of Trinity’s Knowledge Factory, to create the We Are Pioneer Group, the UK’s largest network of science- and tech-focused businesses (2021).
- Acted as funds counsel to Lendlease Retail LP in relation to its winding up and the sale of its assets, including the fund-related elements of its sale of Touchwood Shopping Centre in the UK to Ardent (2021).
- Advised Patron Capital Partners on its programmatic joint venture in the student accommodation sector with Curation Capital, an investor in and manager of student accommodation, co-living, private residential, and flexible office space. The transaction completed simultaneously with the joint venture’s acquisition of Beech Gardens, a 250-bed development in Birmingham, which is the first in a series of proposed projects proposed under the parties’ new business plan (2021).
- Advised funds managed by Starwood Capital on a number of UK data centre investments (2019-2021).
- Acted for KKR and Mirastar on the acquisition of a development site in England on which a new logistics hub is being constructed and on the financing of that acquisition and development by Blackstone (2020).
- Acted for Mirastar on the acquisition by global investment firm KKR from M7 Real Estate of a major stake in Mirastar Real Estate Investment Management Limited, a business specialising in the development, investment and management of European logistics assets (2020).
- Advised a fund advised by Patron Capital on its joint venture with First Base Limited in relation to the acquisition and mixed use redevelopment of Saxon Court in Milton Keynes (UK) as an innovation hub and for residential purposes (2020).
- Acted for Trinity Investment Management, on the establishment of First Step Homes, a full service developer and operator of social and affordable housing across Ireland, in partnership with Angelo Gordon (2019).
- Advised for a fund managed by Starwood Capital in relation to an acquisition of a Finnish residential rental portfolio of 73 buildings comprivins approximately 2,200 units in partnership with Avara Oy (2019).
- Acted for Trinity Investment Management, on the refinancing and sale of a portfolio of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) business parks in the UK owned by an existing joint venture with Angelo Gordon to a new joint venture established with Harrison Street Real Estate (2019).