Patrick Barrett is Of Counsel based in the London office. He specializes in cross-border M&A, joint ventures, venture capital and private equity matters, with broad experience on a range of corporate advisory matters. He regularly represents both strategic and financial clients in a wide-range of acquisitions, investments, divestitures, and multi-jurisdictional transactions in Europe, Asia, Middle East, and North America. Patrick is also recognized for his expertise in warranties and indemnities/representations and warranties insurance.
Patrick has previously practiced in Tokyo and Berlin. He also attended Stanford University’s Inter-University Center for Japanese Language Studies in Yokohama, Japan and is proficient in Japanese.
SoftBank Vision Fund
- SoftBank Vision Fund in its investment in Auto1, a German digital platform for buying and selling automobiles.
- SoftBank Vision Fund in its investment in One 97 Communications Limited (d/b/a Paytm), a digital payments system, e-commerce and financial services company.
- SoftBank Vision Fund in several financing rounds of Grofers International Pte. Ltd., an express delivery online marketplace application in India.
SoftBank Vision Fund II
- SoftBank Vision Fund II in its investment in Vestiaire Collective, a French global fashion e-commerce app for used consumer-wear products.
- SoftBank Vision Fund II in its investment in Behavox Ltd., a UK-founded, NY-headquartered leader in the emerging AI-driven compliance monitoring and “people analytics” sector.
- SoftBank Vision Fund II in its investment in Enpal GmbH, a Berlin-based company that builds and rents solar solutions for private households, and the first German green-energy unicorn.
- SoftBank Vision Fund II in its investment in Kitopi, a ‘ghost-kitchen’ based in the UAE.
- SoftBank Vision Fund II in its investment in Unifonic Inc., a B.V.I. incorporated, Saudi-based customer engagement platform.
- SoftBank Vision Fund II in its investment in Eruditus Learning Solutions Pte. Ltd., a Singapore incorporated executive EdTech company.
- SoftBank Vision Fund II in its investments in Meesho Inc., a Delaware incorporated holding company operating a social (reselling) commerce platform with operations primarily in South and Southeast Asia.
- BlackRock in their investment in Trax Ltd, a retail software unicorn.
- BlackRock in their investment in Pine Labs Pte. Ltd., a Singapore incorporated holding company that operates a merchant platform in India on financing and last-mile retail transaction technology.
Leading Japanese manufacturer
- A leading Japanese manufacturer of molecular sensing and diagnostics products in the healthcare, pharma, and semiconductor industries, in several rounds of financing.
- Taisho Pharma in $1.6 billion acquisition of Bristol-Myers Squibb’s French consumer health business UPSA SAS.
Tate & Lyle
- Tate & Lyle plc on its acquisition of leading global Stevia producer Sweet Green Fields.
Nissan Motor Co.
- Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. in the sale of its electric battery operations and global manufacturing operations, together its lithium-ion battery joint venture with NEC Corporation.
- TDK Corporation in the formation of its $3 billion joint venture with Qualcomm to provide industry leading radio frequency front-end (RFFE) modules and RF filters for mobile devices and for other fast-growing business segments, such as drones, robotics and automotive applications.
- Toshiba in its $2.3 billion acquisition of Landis+Gyr AG, a leading provider of advanced electricity and other utility meters and related solutions for the smart grid, and in its subsequent “dual track” disposal of Landis+Gyr . The disposal transaction was completed through a $2.4bn initial public offering of Landis+Gyr’s shares on the SIX Swiss Exchange.
- Tanaka Kikinzoku, a Japanese company, in its acquisition of Metalor Technologies International, S.A., a precious metals refining and fabrication company based in Switzerland.
SoftBank and GungHo Online Entertainment
- SoftBank and GungHo Online Entertainment in their joint purchase of a majority interest in Finnish mobile game company, Supercell, for $1.5 billion.
- SoftBank in its acquisition of MDI, a Japan based apartment rental firm.
Large multi-national technology investor
- A large multi-national technology investor on the restructuring of two joint ventures with a global e-hospitality chain, which focuses on the financing and management in its principal jurisdictions including Europe, United States, India and other countries in Asia.
- ON Semiconductor in its $600 million acquisition of Sanyo Semiconductor, the first ever acquisition of a major Japanese semiconductor company by a US company.
Xpansiv Data Systems
- Advised Xpansiv Data Systems, Inc. in its merger with Commodity Bourses Limited (CBL), an Australian company operating as CBL Markets
Hitachi and Hitachi Appliances
- Hitachi and Hitachi Appliances in their formation of a global air conditioning joint venture with Johnson Controls, integrating the companies’ market leading HVAC businesses. Johnson Controls obtained a 60 percent ownership stake in Hitachi Appliances’ more than $2.6 billion global air conditioning business.
- SEKISUI HOUSE, LTD., Japan’s largest homebuilder, in its acquisition of US homebuilder Woodside Homes Company, LLC.
- Terumo Corporation in its $2.6 billion acquisition of CaridianBCT, a leading provider of blood collection, treatment and related products.
- NTT DATA in its acquisition of Keane International, a global outsource provider of IT services relating to custom application development and management, enterprise application services, infrastructure solutions, and business processes.