“ A hallmark of my practice involves advising sponsors and strategic and institutional investors on the full range of their fund and transactional needs.
Todd advises on all aspects of transactional M&A for private equity and strategic companies, including domestic and cross-border acquisitions and divestitures. He also advises on institutional investments and fund formation including single investor funds, co-investments, and direct investments.
Todd is an active member of the business community. He serves on various committees of the Institutional Limited Partners Association (ILPA) and as host for the ILPA’s emerging managers conference and institutional/private equity summit. He is a member of the National Association of State Retirement Administrators (NASRA), National Association of Public Pension Attorneys (NAPPA), and American Bar Association (ABA), and he serves on the ABA’s private equity subcommittee.
He has also served on the board of directors of the Boston Chapter of the Association for Corporate Growth (ACG) for six years and as a judge for MassChallenge entrepreneurship competition and the Verizon Powerful Answers Award, and he annually sponsors the SwissNex Entrepreneurship for Technology and Life Sciences.
Todd is Peer Review Rated as AV® Preeminent™, the highest performance rating in Martindale-Hubbell’s peer review rating system. He lives in West Newton with his wife and three daughters.
Private Equity Portfolio Company Transactions
- Represented Ethos Capital on its acquisition of Public Interest Registry (PIR), a nonprofit generic top-level domain registry that operates multiple domains, including one of the world’s largest (.ORG), and all of its assets from the Internet Society. (Terminated)
- Counsel to a Boston-based private equity firm in connection with the disposition of a California-based royalty business.
- Counsel to a technology-focused private equity firm in connection with the acquisition of a California-based software company.
- Counsel to a leading alternative investment manager in connection with a Midwest-based proposed acquisition of residential in-patient health services company.
- Counsel to a leading private equity and venture capital firm in connection with a secondary offering of shares for a New York-based medical practice group.
- Counsel to a Canadian investment banking and financial services company in connection with the public offering of shares for a United Kingdom-based diagnostics company.
- Counsel to a Florida-based investment firm in connection with the acquisition of a Midwest-based bedding manufacturing company.
- Counsel to a California-based private equity investment firm in connection with the acquisition of a Southwest-based transportation services company.
- Counsel to a Connecticut-based hedge fund in connection with numerous roll-up acquisitions of aerospace and defense companies in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, Brazil, France, Korea, Canada, China, Luxembourg, Switzerland and Mauritius.
- Represented the equity holders of N2 Biomedical, a provider of coating and surface treatment for medical and dental applications, in its sale to Ampersand Capital Partners, a Boston-based private equity firm.
- Represented Klein Tools, manufacturer of professional grade tools and related equipment for tradespeople, in its acquisition of Ergodyne, maker of safety work gear, from its parent company Tenacious Holdings.
- Represented an individual seller in his sale of Gerawan Farming, a family peach farming business, to Wawona Packing Co., a fruit and packing company that is backed by Paine Schwartz, a private equity firm.
- Represented the equity holders of Brahmin, the maker of high quality leather accessories, in its sale to Markel Corporation.
- Represented Seajoy Seafood Corporation, one of the largest vertically integrated shrimp farming businesses in Central and South America, in its sale to Cooke Aquaculture.
- Counsel to an Italy-based manufacturer of components for gas turbines, steam turbines and aerostructures in connection with the acquisition of U.S.-based aerospace and defense division of a British engineering company.
- Counsel in connection with a U.S.-based independent, assisted, and skilled nursing facilities roll-up for a strategic acquirer.
- Counsel to a leading medical device manufacturer in connection with the acquisition of a U.S. medical device maker.
- Counsel to a California-based environmental services consulting company in connection with the sale to a U.S.-based private equity fund.
- Counsel to a U.S. producer of aerospace components and equipment in connection with the sale of an aerospace and defense company to a leading motion and control technology company.
- Counsel to a U.S. aerospace and defense company in connection with its sale to a graphite electrode and petroleum coke manufacturer.
- Counsel to a U.S.-based SaaS company in connection with the recapitalization of the company with a U.S.-based private equity fund.
- Counsel to a public United Kingdom-based financial technology company in connection with the divestiture of a U.S.-based subsidiary to management (MBO).
- Counsel to a U.S.-based media company in connection with a Series A and B institutional financing.
Limited Partner, Fund Formation and Investment Transactions
- Counsel to fund managers in all aspects of fund formation for discretionary and non-discretionary alternative investment transactions, including fixed income, private equity, real estate, infrastructure, energy, oil and gas, fundraising, and day-to-day governance and compliance.
- Counsel with limited partner representation in connection with discretionary and non-discretionary investments for Oaktree Capital Management, White Deer Energy Fund, KPS Special Situations, AQR Capital Management, PIMCO, Fortress, Altaris Health Partners, Olympus Growth Fund VI, Catterton Partners and Trilantic Capital Partners.
- Counsel to various U.S. and European funds in connection with the sale of limited partnership investment in various private equity, real estate, and venture capital funds (secondaries).
- Counsel in connection with $250 million single investor fund with Credit Suisse Asset Management.
- Counsel in connection with $1.1 billion single investor fund with Cerberus Capital Management.
- Counsel in connection with $500 million single investor fund with Highbridge Capital Management.
- Counsel in connection with $400 million separately managed account with Infrastructure Capital Group (ICG).
- Counsel in connection with $350 million separately managed account with ARES Capital Management.
- Counsel in connection with $350 million separately managed account with LCM Partners.
- Counsel in connection with $200 million direct investment into an Industry Funds Management open-ended infrastructure investment program fund.
- Counsel in connection with $160 million single investor fund to invest alongside White Oak Global Advisors.