Xiaohu Ma, a partner of Morrison & Foerster LLP worldwide partnership, is qualified as a Senior Lawyer in the People’s Republic of China (PRC). Mr. Ma’s diverse practice includes advising on China-related securities offerings, venture capital, mergers and acquisitions, private equity, buyouts, in-bound and out-bound China-related investments, real estate development and financings, and the resolution of commercial disputes, and international arbitrations.
Mr. Ma is recognized as one of “China’s top 100 lawyers” by China Business Law Journal 2017, and is recommended for Debt Capital Markets in Hong Kong by Legal 500 Asia-Pacific 2016-2017. He was also ranked as a leading lawyer by Chambers Asia Pacific from 2008-2010 for Private Equity in Hong Kong. Chambers Asia Pacific says, "Xiaohu Ma can be a 'lightning rod' for clients in his ability to reconcile opposing viewpoints in order to get deals done and regulatory approvals passed."
Mr. Ma has extensive knowledge of the legal and practical commercial aspects of the foreign investment regulatory approval process in China, land ownership and transfers, and foreign exchange complications of doing business in China. He has advised on such matters in his role as PRC counsel on some major international securities offerings. He also represents China-related enterprises in connection with restructuring, private equity, venture capital financing and other financing activities. Mr. Ma regularly advises major Chinese enterprises and foreign parties in international investments and mergers and acquisitions in China. He also has extensive experience on litigation and arbitrations relevant to China, including several cases handled at CIETAC.
Mr. Ma received his Bachelor of Laws degree and his Master of Laws degree from Peking University in 1984 and 1987, respectively. Mr. Ma was admitted to the Chinese bar in 1988, and was designated a Senior Lawyer by the Ministry of Justice in 1989. In June 1993, he was one of the first group of lawyers designated by the PRC Ministry of Justice and the China Securities Regulatory Commission as qualified to advise on PRC securities law.
Mr. Ma is a frequent lecturer and writer on developments in Chinese law affecting foreign investors. He is fluent in English as well as Chinese.
China Zhongwang Holdings IPO.Represented the joint global coordinators and joint bookrunners UBS, JP Morgan, and CITIC Securities Corporate Finance (HK) Limited in the initial public offering of China Zhongwang Holdings in Hong Kong. (2009)
CIMC Acquisition.Represented China International Marine Containers (Group) Ltd. in its US$145 million acquisition of a 42% controlling interest in a Hong Kong-listed company, Enric Energy Equipment Holdings Limited, which was completed in 2007. The acquisition also triggered a US$199 million general offer under the Takeovers Code of Hong Kong to acquire the remaining 58% of Enric. (2009)
China Huiyuan US$345 Million IPO.Represented China Huiyuan in its US$345 million IPO on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange and the issuance of convertible bonds amounting to an approximate total of US$222.25 million from Group Danone, Warburg Pincus, and Holland Development Bank. China Huiyuan is the leading fruit and vegetable juice manufacturer in China, holding 42% of the market share for pure-fruit juice beverages. (2007)
Shanghai Century Acquisition Corporation Merger with Kelun Pharmaceutical.Currently representing Shanghai Century Acquisition Corporation, a special-purpose acquisition company listed on the American Stock Exchange, in its proposed US$168-million cross-border business combination with Kelun Pharmaceutical, China's largest IV solutions product manufacturer. (2007)
Dalian Port (PDA) Company Limited's US$320 Million IPO.Represented Dalian Port (PDA) Company Limited in its US$320 million IPO on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange. (2006)
Xiaohu Ma is ranked as a leading individual by Chambers Asia Pacific 2008-2010. He is also recognized in Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2014 for Corporate(Including M&A) and Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2016 for Debt Capital Markets in Hong Kong.
©1996-2018 Morrison & Foerster LLP. All rights reserved.