LAST UPDATED: May 26, 2020
IF YOU ARE AN INDIVIDUAL ACCESSING OR USING THE SITE ON BEHALF OF, OR FOR THE BENEFIT OF, ANY CORPORATION, PARTNERSHIP OR OTHER ENTITY WITH WHICH YOU ARE ASSOCIATED (AN “ORGANIZATION”), THEN YOU ARE AGREEING TO THIS AGREEMENT ON BEHALF OF YOURSELF AND SUCH ORGANIZATION, AND YOU REPRESENT AND WARRANT THAT YOU HAVE THE LEGAL AUTHORITY TO BIND SUCH ORGANIZATION TO THIS AGREEMENT. References to “you” and “your” in this Agreement will refer to both the individual using the Site and to any such Organization.
THIS AGREEMENT CONTAINS A MANDATORY ARBITRATION PROVISION THAT, AS FURTHER SET FORTH IN SECTION 17 BELOW (AND SUBJECT TO THE EXCEPTIONS SET FORTH THEREIN), REQUIRES THE USE OF ARBITRATION ON AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS TO RESOLVE DISPUTES, RATHER THAN JURY TRIALS OR ANY OTHER COURT PROCEEDINGS, OR CLASS ACTIONS OF ANY KIND.
1. Acceptance of Terms. By using the Site, you agree to the terms of this Agreement and to any additional terms, conditions, rules and guidelines that we post on the Site, or otherwise make available to you. This Agreement hereby incorporates by this reference any such additional terms, conditions, rules and guidelines. We may make changes to this Agreement from time to time, and we may notify you of such changes by any reasonable means, including by posting the revised version of this Agreement on the Site. You can determine when we last changed this Agreement by referring to the “LAST UPDATED” legend above. Your use of the Site following any changes to this Agreement will constitute your acceptance of those changes. Any such changes will not apply to any dispute between you and us arising prior to the date on which we posted the revised Agreement incorporating such changes, or otherwise notified you of such changes. We may, at any time and without liability, modify or discontinue all or part of the Site; refuse to provide any user with access to the Site; charge, modify or waive any fees required to use the Site; or offer opportunities to some or all Site users.
2. Jurisdiction. The Site is controlled and/or operated from the United States, and is not intended to subject us to non-U.S. jurisdiction or laws, except as otherwise expressly stated in this Agreement. The Site may not be appropriate or available for use in some jurisdictions outside of the United States. If you use the Site, you do so at your own risk, and you are responsible for complying with all local laws, rules and regulations. We may limit the Site’s availability, in whole or in part, to any person, geographic area or jurisdiction we choose, at any time and in our sole discretion.
3. No Legal Advice. We provide users of the Site with access to general information about us, and to related materials and services, including: (a) information and other materials such as newsletters, blogs, legal updates, articles, attorney profiles, event details, videos, photos, text, data and other similar content; and (b) services such as event registration, subscription management, research tools, video players and links to third-party websites (such information, materials and services made available in connection with the Site, collectively, the “Services”).
WHILE THE INFORMATION ON THE SITE MAY CONCERN LEGAL ISSUES, SUCH INFORMATION IS PROVIDED FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT THE SERVICES DO NOT CONSTITUTE LEGAL ADVICE. MOREOVER, USE OF THE SITE IS NOT INTENDED TO CONSTITUTE, AND DOES NOT CONSTITUTE, A SOLICITATION FOR THE FORMATION OF AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP; NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED THROUGH YOUR USE OF THE SITE. MOREOVER, NEITHER RECEIPT OF ANY SERVICES, NOR ANY E-MAIL OR OTHER COMMUNICATION SENT THROUGH THIS SITE, WILL CREATE AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP, AND NO SUCH E-MAIL OR COMMUNICATION WILL BE TREATED AS CONFIDENTIAL. YOU SHOULD NOT ACT OR REFRAIN FROM ACTING ON THE BASIS OF THE SITE WITHOUT SEEKING LEGAL ADVICE OF COUNSEL IN THE RELEVANT JURISDICTION(S). WE EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ALL LIABILITY IN RESPECT OF ACTIONS TAKEN OR NOT TAKEN BASED ON ANY SERVICES. FURTHER, NO VIEWS EXPRESSED IN CONNECTION WITH ANY BLOGS AVAILABLE IN CONNECTION WITH THE SITE SHALL BE ATTRIBUTED TO MORRISON & FOERSTER OR ITS AFFILIATED ENTITIES, OR ITS OR THEIR ATTORNEYS OR CLIENTS.
4. Information You Submit Through the Site. You represent and warrant that all information you provide in connection with the Site is and will remain true, accurate and complete, and you will maintain and update such information regularly as needed. If you choose to make any of your personally identifiable or other information publicly available on, through or in connection with the Site, you do so at your own risk.
5. Rules of Conduct. While using the Site you must comply with all applicable laws, rules and regulations. In addition, we expect users of the Site to respect the rights and dignity of others. Your use of the Site is conditioned on your compliance with the rules of conduct set forth in this Section 5; your failure to comply with such rules may result in termination of your right to use the Site pursuant to Section 17 below. You agree that you will not:
6. Registration. You may need to register to use all or part(s) of the Site. We may decline your request to register for any reason. In the event we accept your registration request, we may reject, or require that you change, any user name, password or other information that you provide to us in registering. Your user name and password are for your personal use only and should be kept confidential; you are responsible for any use or misuse of your user name or password, and you must promptly notify us of any confidentiality breach or unauthorized use of your user name and password, or your Site account.
7. Profiles and Forums. Site visitors may make available certain materials (each, a “Submission”) through or in connection with the Site, including on the Site’s interactive services, such as blogs, message boards and other forums, and commenting and other messaging functionality. We have no control over, and are not responsible for, any use or misuse (including any distribution) by any third party of Submissions. IF YOU CHOOSE TO MAKE ANY OF YOUR PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE OR OTHER INFORMATION PUBLICLY AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SITE, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK.
8. License. For purposes of clarity, you retain ownership of your Submissions. For each Submission, you hereby grant to us a worldwide, royalty-free, fully paid-up, non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, transferable and fully sublicensable (through multiple tiers) license, without additional consideration to you or any third party, to reproduce, distribute, perform and display (publicly or otherwise), create derivative works of, adapt, modify and otherwise use, analyze and exploit such Submission, in any format or media now known or hereafter developed, and for any purpose (including promotional purposes, such as testimonials).
In addition, if you provide to us any ideas, proposals, suggestions or other materials (“Feedback”), whether related to the Site or otherwise, such Feedback will be deemed a Submission, and you hereby acknowledge and agree that such Feedback is not confidential, and that your provision of such Feedback is gratuitous, unsolicited and without restriction, and does not place us under any fiduciary or other obligation.
You represent and warrant that you have all rights necessary to grant the licenses granted in this Section 8, and that your Submissions, and your provision thereof through and in connection with the Site, are complete and accurate, and are not fraudulent, tortious or otherwise in violation of any applicable law or any right of any third party. You further irrevocably waive any “moral rights” or other rights with respect to attribution of authorship or integrity of materials regarding each Submission that you may have under any applicable law under any legal theory.
9. Monitoring. We may (but have no obligation to) monitor, evaluate, alter or remove Submissions before or after they appear on the Site, or monitor or analyze your access to or use of the Site. We may disclose information regarding your access to and use of the Site, and the circumstances surrounding such access and use, to anyone for any reason or purpose.
10. Your Limited Rights. Subject to your compliance with this Agreement, and solely for so long as you are permitted by us to use the Site, you may view one (1) copy of any portion of the Site to which we provide you access under this Agreement, on any single device, solely for your personal, non-commercial use.
11. Our Proprietary Rights. As between you and us, we own the Site, including all information, materials and other Services available through the Site. The Site may be protected by copyright, trademark, patent and/or other proprietary rights and laws.
Our trade names, trademarks and service marks include MORRISON & FOERSTER, MOFO, MOFO.COM, MOFO TECH, and VIP, and any associated trademarks, service marks, and logos. All trade names, trademarks, service marks and logos on the Site not owned by us are the property of their respective owners. You may not use our trade names, trademarks, service marks or logos in connection with any product or service that is not ours, or in any manner that is likely to cause confusion. Nothing contained on the Site should be construed as granting any license or right to use any trade names, trademarks, service marks or logos without express prior written consent of the owner.
PLEASE NOTE THAT UNAUTHORIZED USE OF THE SITE, INCLUDING ANY SOFTWARE USED BY THE SITE, MAY SUBJECT YOU TO CIVIL AND CRIMINAL PENALTIES (INCLUDING POSSIBLE MONETARY DAMAGES), INCLUDING FOR COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT.
12. Third Party Materials; Links. Certain Site functionality may make available access to information, products, services and other materials made available by third parties, including Submissions (“Third Party Materials”), or allow for the routing or transmission of such Third Party Materials, including via links. By using such functionality, you are directing us to access, route and transmit to you the applicable Third Party Materials.
We are not responsible for and do not control or endorse any Third Party Materials, including the accuracy, validity, timeliness, completeness, reliability, integrity, quality, legality, usefulness or safety of Third Party Materials, or any intellectual property rights therein. Certain Third Party Materials may, among other things, be inaccurate, misleading or deceptive. Nothing in this Agreement shall be deemed to be a representation or warranty by us with respect to any Third Party Materials. We have no obligation to monitor Third Party Materials, and we may block or disable access to any Third Party Materials (in whole or part) through the Site at any time. In addition, the availability of any Third Party Materials through the Site does not imply our endorsement of, or our affiliation with, any provider of such Third Party Materials, nor does such availability create any legal relationship between you and any such provider. YOUR USE OF THIRD-PARTY MATERIALS IS AT YOUR OWN RISK AND IS SUBJECT TO ANY ADDITIONAL TERMS, CONDITIONS AND POLICIES APPLICABLE TO SUCH THIRD PARTY MATERIALS (SUCH AS TERMS OF SERVICE OR PRIVACY POLICIES OF THE PROVIDERS OF SUCH THIRD PARTY MATERIALS).
Other sites may link to the Site with or without our authorization; no such linking implies our endorsement of, or our affiliation with, any such site, and we may block any links to or from the Site at any time. Additionally, we may provide tools to allow you to link to the Site directly from a third-party site; if you do link to the Site (whether using such tools or otherwise), you agree that you will disable and remove any such link promptly upon our request.
13. Disclaimer of Warranties. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED UNDER APPLICABLE LAW: (A) THE SITE AND ANY SERVICES, THIRD PARTY MATERIALS AND OTHER INFORMATION AND MATERIALS MADE AVAILABLE THROUGH OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SITE ARE PROVIDED TO YOU ON AN “AS IS,” “WHERE IS” AND “WHERE AVAILABLE” BASIS, WITHOUT ANY REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY; AND (B) WE DISCLAIM ALL REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES, TERMS AND CONDITIONS WITH RESPECT TO THE SITE AND ANY SERVICES, THIRD PARTY MATERIALS AND OTHER INFORMATION AND MATERIALS MADE AVAILABLE THROUGH OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING THE REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES OF SATISFACTORY QUALITY, MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, NONINFRINGEMENT AND TITLE. ALL DISCLAIMERS OF ANY KIND (INCLUDING IN THIS SECTION 13 AND ELSEWHERE IN THIS AGREEMENT) ARE MADE FOR THE BENEFIT OF US AND OUR AFFILIATED AND ASSOCIATED ENTITIES, AND OUR AND THEIR RESPECTIVE partners, members, EMPLOYEES, OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, SHAREHOLDERS, AFFILIATES, AGENTS, REPRESENTATIVES, LICENSORS, SUPPLIERS AND SERVICE PROVIDERS (COLLECTIVELY, THE “AFFILIATED ENTITIES”), AND OUR AND THEIR RESPECTIVE SUCCESSORS AND ASSIGNS.
WE MAKE NO REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY THAT THE SITE (OR ANY PART THEREOF) WILL BE ACCURATE, COMPLETE OR ERROR-FREE, NOR THAT ANY PARTICULAR SOFTWARE OR HARDWARE, WILL BE COMPATIBLE WITH THE SITE, AND YOU HEREBY AGREE THAT IT IS YOUR SOLE RESPONSIBILITY TO (A) OBTAIN AND PAY FOR ANY SOFTWARE, HARDWARE AND SERVICES (INCLUDING INTERNET CONNECTIVITY) NEEDED TO ACCESS AND USE THE SITE, AND (B) ENSURE THAT ANY SOFTWARE, HARDWARE AND SERVICES THAT YOU USE WILL FUNCTION CORRECTLY WITH THE SITE. YOU AGREE THAT YOU MUST EVALUATE, AND THAT YOU BEAR ALL RISKS ASSOCIATED WITH, THE USE OF THE SITE, INCLUDING ANY RELIANCE ON THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS OR USEFULNESS OF ANY INFORMATION OR MATERIALS MADE AVAILABLE THROUGH OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SITE.
While we try to maintain the timeliness, integrity and security of the Site, we do not guarantee that the Site is or will remain updated, complete, correct or secure, or that access to the Site will be uninterrupted. The Site may include inaccuracies, errors and materials that violate or conflict with this Agreement. Additionally, third parties may make unauthorized alterations to the Site. If you become aware of any such alterations, please contact us at MoFoNews@mofo.com with a description of such alterations and the location(s) on the Site.
14. Limitation of Liability. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED UNDER APPLICABLE LAW: (A) WE WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, under any contract, torT (including NEGLIGENCE), strict liability or other theory, NOR FOR ANY DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS, LOSS OF USE, LOSS OF DATA, LOSS OF OTHER INTANGIBLES, LOSS OF SECURITY OF Submissions, OR UNAUTHORIZED INTERCEPTION OF ANY Submissions BY THIRD PARTIES, EVEN IF ADVISED IN ADVANCE OF the possibility of SUCH DAMAGES OR LOSSES; (B) WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, WE WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND RESULTING FROM YOUR USE OF or inability to use THE SITE OR FROM ANY SERVICES, third party materials or other INFORMATION OR MATERIALS ON THE SITE, including from any virus that may be transmitted in CONNECTION therewith; (C) YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY FOR DISSATISFACTION WITH THE SITE or any SERVICES, third party materials OR OTHER INFORMATION OR MATERIALS MADE AVAILABLE THROUGH OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SITE IS TO STOP USING THE SITE; AND (D) OUR MAXIMUM aggregate LIABILITY FOR ALL DAMAGES, LOSSES AND CAUSES OF ACTION, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE) OR OTHERWISE SHALL BE THE GREATER OF (i) THE TOTAL AMOUNT, IF ANY, PAID BY YOU TO US TO ACCESS AND USE THE SITE, AND (ii) TEN U.S. DOLLARS ($10.00). ALL LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY OF ANY KIND (INCLUDING IN THIS SECTION 14 AND ELSEWHERE IN THIS AGREEMENT) ARE MADE ON BEHALF OF US AND OUR AFFILIATED ENTITIES, AND OUR AND THEIR RESPECTIVE SUCCESSORS AND ASSIGNS.
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT APPLICABLE LAW MAY NOT ALLOW FOR LIMITATIONS ON CERTAIN IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR EXCLUSIONS OR LIMITATIONS OF CERTAIN DAMAGES; SOLELY TO THE EXTENT THAT SUCH LAW APPLIES TO YOU, SOME OR ALL OF THE ABOVE DISCLAIMERS, EXCLUSIONS OR LIMITATIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU, AND YOU MAY HAVE ADDITIONAL RIGHTS. IF APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF A PARTY’S LIABILITY WITH RESPECT TO DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY CAUSED BY SUCH PARTY’S NEGLIGENCE, FRAUD OR ANY OTHER MATTER, THEN SUCH PARTY’S LIABILITY WILL NOT BE LIMITED OR EXCLUDED TO THE EXTENT OF SUCH PROHIBITION UNDER SUCH APPLICABLE LAW.
15. Indemnity. To the fullest extent permitted under applicable law, you agree to defend, indemnify and hold us and our Affiliated Entities, and our and their respective successors and assigns, harmless from and against all claims, liabilities, damages, judgments, awards, losses, costs, expenses and fees (including attorneys’ fees) arising out of or relating to (a) any use of, or activities in connection with, the Site (including all Submissions) by or on behalf of you, or using your Site account, or (b) any violation or alleged violation of this Agreement by you.
16. Termination. This Agreement is effective until terminated. We may, at any time and for any reason (including if we believe that you have violated or acted inconsistently with the letter or spirit of this Agreement), terminate or suspend your access to or use of: (a) the Site, (b) your user name and password, or (c) any files, information or materials associated with your user name and password. Upon any such termination or suspension, your right to use the Site will immediately cease, and we may, without liability to you or any third party, immediately deactivate or delete your user name, password and account, and all associated files and information. If we terminate or suspend your use of the Site, you hereby waive any claims against us or our Affiliated Entities with respect to such termination or suspension. We and our Affiliated Entities shall not be liable for any termination or suspension of your access to the Site or to any such files, information or materials, and (except as may be required under mandatory applicable law) shall not be required to make such files, information or materials available to you after any such termination or suspension. We may take steps that we believe are appropriate to enforce or verify compliance with any part of this Agreement (including our right to cooperate with any legal process relating to your use of the Site or any third-party claim that your use of the Site is unlawful or infringes such third party’s rights). Sections 2–9 and 11–22 shall survive any expiration or termination of this Agreement.
17. Governing Law; Dispute Resolution. If you are a resident of the United States or any claim or dispute in connection with this Agreement or your use of the Site (each, a “Dispute”) arises in connection with your use of (including access to) the Site while in the United States, or if you are an Organization or an individual using the Site on behalf of, or for the benefit of, an Organization, the following will apply: The terms of this Agreement and any applicable Dispute are governed by and shall be construed in accordance with the laws of the United States (including federal arbitration law) and the State of California, U.S.A., without regard to its principles of conflicts of law or the U.N. Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods. EXCEPT FOR DISPUTES THAT QUALIFY FOR SMALL CLAIMS COURT, ALL DISPUTES ARISING OUT OF OR RELATED TO THIS AGREEMENT OR ANY ASPECT OF THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN YOU AND MORRISON & FOERSTER LLP, WHETHER BASED IN CONTRACT, TORT, STATUTE, FRAUD, MISREPRESENTATION OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY, WILL BE RESOLVED THROUGH FINAL AND BINDING ARBITRATION BEFORE A NEUTRAL ARBITRATOR INSTEAD OF IN A COURT BY A JUDGE OR JURY AND YOU AGREE THAT YOU AND MORRISON & FOERSTER LLP ARE EACH WAIVING THE RIGHT TO TRIAL BY A JURY. YOU AGREE THAT ANY ARBITRATION UNDER THIS AGREEMENT WILL TAKE PLACE ON AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS; CLASS ARBITRATIONS AND CLASS ACTIONS ARE NOT PERMITTED AND YOU ARE AGREEING TO GIVE UP THE ABILITY TO PARTICIPATE IN A CLASS ACTION. The arbitration will be administered by JAMS under the JAMS Streamlined Arbitration Rules & Procedures, as amended by this Agreement. The JAMS Streamlined Arbitration Rules & Procedures are available online at https://www.jamsadr.com/rules-streamlined-arbitration/. In connection with such arbitration: (a) the arbitrator will conduct hearings, if any, by teleconference or videoconference, rather than by personal appearances, unless the arbitrator determines upon request by you or by us that an in-person hearing is appropriate, (b) any in-person appearances will be held at a location which is reasonably convenient to both parties with due consideration of their ability to travel and other pertinent circumstances, and (c) if the parties are unable to agree on a location, such determination should be made by JAMS or by the arbitrator; provided, however, that to the extent (and only to such extent) the applicable arbitration rules expressly provide otherwise, such arbitration rules will supersede subsections (a)-(c) of this Section 17. The arbitrator’s decision will follow the terms of this Agreement and will be final and binding. The arbitrator will have authority to award temporary, interim or permanent injunctive relief or relief providing for specific performance of this Agreement, but only to the extent necessary to provide relief warranted by the individual claim before the arbitrator. The award rendered by the arbitrator may be confirmed and enforced in any court having jurisdiction thereof. Notwithstanding any of the foregoing, nothing in this Agreement will preclude you from bringing issues to the attention of federal, state or local agencies and, if the law allows, they can seek relief against us for you.
Subject to the paragraph below, if you are not a resident of the United States and the applicable Dispute does not arise in connection with your use of (including access to) the Site while in the United States, and if you are neither an Organization nor an individual using the Site on behalf of, or for the benefit of, an Organization, the following will apply: The terms of this Agreement and any Dispute are governed by and shall be construed in accordance with the laws of the United States and the State of California, U.S.A., without regard to its principles of conflicts of law or the U.N. Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods. You agree to the exclusive jurisdiction of the federal and state courts located in San Francisco, California, U.S.A., and waive any jurisdictional, venue or inconvenient forum objections to such courts.
If you are a resident of a Member State of the European Union and the applicable Dispute does not arise in connection with your use of (including access to) the Site while in the United States, and if you are neither an Organization nor an individual using the Site on behalf of, or for the benefit of, an Organization, the following will apply: The terms of this Agreement and any Dispute are governed by and shall be construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales, without regard to its principles of conflicts of law or the U.N. Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods. If you are using the Site as a consumer within the scope of the Regulation (EC) No 593/2008 (Rome I), the foregoing choice of governing law shall not, however, have the result of depriving you of the protection afforded to you by provisions that cannot be derogated from by agreement by virtue of the laws applicable in the country where you have your habitual residence. Except for Disputes that arise from instances in which you are using the Site as a consumer within the scope of the Regulation (EU) No 1215/2012 (Brussels I Recast), you agree to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts located in London, England, and waive any objections to such courts. For consumers that are residents of a Member State of the European Union, the European Commission offers a platform for online dispute resolution (ODR) at www.ec.europa.eu/consumers/odr. However, except as expressly provided above with regard to binding arbitration as to certain Site users, we are neither obligated nor willing to participate in alternative dispute resolution.
18. Filtering. Pursuant to 47 U.S.C. Section 230(d) as amended, we hereby notify you that parental control protections (such as computer hardware, software or filtering services) are commercially available that may assist you in limiting access to material that is harmful to minors. Information identifying current providers of such protections is available at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_content-control_software_and_providers. Please note that we do not endorse any of the products or services listed at this site.
19. Information or Complaints. If you have a question or complaint regarding the Site, please feel free to contact us via e-mail at MoFoNews@mofo.com, or by calling us at 415-268-7000, or by contacting us at the mailing address set forth below. Please note that if you communicate with us in connection with a matter for which we do not already represent you, you should not convey to us any confidential or sensitive information because such communication will not be treated as privileged or confidential.
Morrison & Foerster
425 Market Street, 32nd Floor
San Francisco, California, 94105
California residents may reach the Complaint Assistance Unit of the Division of Consumer Services of the California Department of Consumer Affairs by mail at 1625 North Market Blvd., Sacramento, CA 95834, or by telephone at (916) 445-1254 or (800) 952-5210.
20. Copyright Infringement Claims. The Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 (the “DMCA”) provides recourse for copyright owners who believe that material appearing on the Internet infringes their rights under U.S. copyright law. If you believe in good faith that materials available on the Site infringe your copyright, you (or your agent) may send Morrison & Foerster a written notice by mail, e-mail or fax, requesting that we remove such material or block access to it. If you believe in good faith that someone has wrongly filed a notice of copyright infringement against you, the DMCA permits you to send to Morrison & Foerster a counter-notice. Notices and counter-notices must meet the then-current statutory requirements imposed by the DMCA. See http://www.copyright.gov/ for details. Notices and counter-notices must be sent in writing to our General Counsel as follows: by mail to General Counsel, 425 Market Street, San Francisco, CA 94105; or by e-mail to email@example.com. Our General Counsel may be reached at telephone number (415) 268-7000.
We suggest that you consult your legal advisor before filing a DMCA notice or counter-notice.
21. Contact Us. If you have any questions regarding the meaning or application of this Agreement, please direct such questions to MoFoNews@mofo.com. E-mail communications are not necessarily secure, so please do not include sensitive information in any e-mail to us.
22. Miscellaneous. This Agreement does not, and shall not be construed to, create any partnership, joint venture, employer-employee, agency, or franchisor-franchisee relationship between you and us. If any provision of this Agreement is found to be unlawful, void or for any reason unenforceable, that provision will be deemed severable from this Agreement and will not affect the validity and enforceability of any other provision. You may not assign, transfer, or sublicense any or all of your rights or obligations under this Agreement without our express prior written consent. We may assign, transfer or sublicense any or all of our rights or obligations under this Agreement without restriction. No waiver by either party of any breach or default hereunder will be deemed to be a waiver of any preceding or subsequent breach or default. Any heading, caption or section title contained herein is for convenience only, and in no way defines or explains any section or provision. All terms defined in the singular shall have the same meanings when used in the plural, where appropriate and unless otherwise specified. Any use of the term “including” or variations thereof in this Agreement shall be construed as if followed by the phrase “without limitation.” This Agreement hereby incorporates by this reference any additional terms that we post on the Site and, except as otherwise expressly stated herein, this Agreement is the entire Agreement between you and us relating to the subject matter herein and supersedes any and all prior or contemporaneous written or oral agreements or understandings between you and us relating to such subject matter. Notices to you may be made via posting to the Site or by e-mail (including in each case via links), or by regular mail, in our discretion.
Without limitation, you agree that a printed version of this Agreement and of any notice given in electronic form shall be admissible in judicial or administrative proceedings based upon or relating to this Agreement to the same extent and subject to the same conditions as other business documents and records originally generated and maintained in printed form. We will not be responsible for failure to fulfill any obligation due to causes beyond our control.
The Site © 2005–2017 Morrison & Foerster LLP unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.
Information as per Article 7 of the Belgian Law of March 11, 2003:
The partners of the Belgian office of Morrison & Foerster LLP practice from the following address:
Morrison & Foerster LLP
Boulevard Louis Schmidt 29
Phone: 32 2 347 0400
The Belgian office is comprised of lawyers who are admitted within Belgium to practice as lawyers and are members of the Brussels Bar, List E and/or are members of foreign Bars or Law Societies. Regulatory provisions applicable to members of the Brussels Bar are available from the Brussels Bar Associations at: www.baliebrussel.be (Dutch-language Order) or www.barreaudebruxelles.be (French-language Order).
Platform of the EU Commission regarding online dispute resolution: http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/odr
Office Address and Contact Details:
Morrison & Foerster (UK) LLP
52 Lime Street
London, EC3M 7AF
Phone: 020 7920 4000
Morrison & Foerster (UK) LLP is not authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) in the United Kingdom but it is able in certain circumstances to offer a limited range of investment services to clients because it is a member of the SRA. Morrison & Foerster (UK) LLP can provide these investment services in the UK if they are an incidental part of the professional services that we have been engaged to provide. We are however included on the FCA register so that we can carry on insurance mediation activity, which is broadly advising on, selling and administration of insurance contracts. The SRA regulates this part of our business, including arrangements for complaints or redress if something goes wrong.
Professional liability insurance:
We have in place professional liability insurance with Liberty Mutual Insurance Europe Limited, whose registered office is at 20 Fenchurch Street, London, EC3M 3AW. The territorial coverage will extend to acts or omissions arising out of the professional business of Morrison & Foerster (UK) LLP wherever they occur.
It is our policy to account to our clients for a sum in lieu of interest on a fair and reasonable basis. In particular:
We are committed to providing the highest quality of service. If you are a client and you have any concerns or complaints about any of the services we provide to you, we would like to discuss them with you and try to resolve them as soon as possible. Initially, we suggest that you contact the person responsible for the particular matter. However, if you do not want to do that or if your discussions with that person do not resolve your issues, you should feel free to contact the person managing the overall relationship with you or the person managing the department or office concerned.
Value Added Tax Identification Number:
GB935 683 685
Platform of the EU Commission regarding online dispute resolution: http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/odr
(Deutsche Version folgt unten – German version follows below)
The partners of the Berlin office of Morrison & Foerster LLP practice at the following address:
The attorneys of the Berlin office are admitted to practice law in Germany and members of the Bar of Berlin and/or are admitted to practice law in a foreign country and are members of foreign Bars or Law Societies. One partner is also admitted as a civil law notary and a member of the notary Bar of Berlin.
Rules of the profession and other laws applicable to practice
Mandatory professional liability insurance cover is provided by ERGO Versicherung AG, Victoriaplatz 1, 40198 Düsseldorf, Germany. The insurance at minimum complies with the statutory requirements under sec. 51 of the Federal Attorney Act (Bundesrechtsanwaltsordnung – BRAO) and sec. 67 of the Tax Advice Act (Steuerberatungsgestetz – StBerG) together with sec. 51 et seq. of the Ordinance regarding the Implementation of the Rules for Tax Advisors, Accountants and Accounting Firms (DVStB). The insurance covers worldwide activities in connection with the advice on European laws.
Morrison & Foerster LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership under the laws of the US State of California, registered with the Secretary of State, State of California, Sacramento, California (register no. 45391). The personal liability of the partners as equity owners of Morrison & Foerster LLP is limited. A list of all partners of the Berlin office of Morrison & Foerster LLP is available at our Berlin office and on our website www.mofo.com.
The title "Partner (International)" denotes an attorney employed by Morrison & Foerster LLP, who at the same time is a partner in Morrison & Foerster (International) LLP. Legal services in Germany are exclusively performed by Morrison & Foerster LLP, a Limited Liability Partnership under the laws of the State of California.
The supervisory authorities responsible for the acting notaries are the President of the Berlin Regional Court, Littenstrasse 12-17, 10179 Berlin, as well as the President of the Berlin Court of Appeal (Kammergericht), Elssholzstrasse 30-33, 10781 Berlin.
Value Added Tax Identification Number: DE291651578
Platform of the EU Commission regarding online dispute resolution: http//ec.europa.eu/consumers/odr
Special Terms for Consumers Located in Germany
If your habitual residence is in Germany and you are using the Site as a consumer within the scope of the Regulation (EC) No 593/2008 (Rome I), the following Special Terms apply:
1. Sec. 1 is replaced by the following:
By using the Site, you agree to the terms of this Agreement and to any additional terms, conditions, rules and guidelines that we post on the Site, or otherwise make available to you. This Agreement hereby incorporates by this reference any such additional terms, conditions, rules and guidelines. We may make changes to this Agreement from time to time, and we may notify you of such changes by any reasonable means, including by posting the revised version of this Agreement on the Site. You can determine when we last changed this Agreement by referring to the “LAST UPDATED” legend above. Your use of the Site following any changes to this Agreement will constitute your acceptance of those changes. Any such changes will apply only prospectively, i.e., for your use of the Site after the date on which we posted the revised Agreement incorporating such changes, or otherwise notified you of such changes. We may, at any time and without liability, modify or discontinue all or part of the Site; refuse to provide any user with access to the Site; charge, modify or waive any fees required to use the Site; or offer opportunities to some or all Site users.
2. Sec. 14 is replaced by the following, which shall exclusively govern our liability for damages and futile expenditures (together the “Damages”), regardless of the legal nature of the respective claim:
a. Except for the cases set out in para. c below, our liability for all Damages is excluded to the extent that the Damages (i) were not caused by a culpable, i.e. at least negligent, material breach of an obligation which jeopardizes the attainment of the contractual purpose; in particular by a culpable breach of ‘cardinal obligations’ or (ii) were not caused by gross negligence or intent. A cardinal obligation is a material contractual obligation, the fulfilment of which is prerequisite for enabling the proper fulfilment of the Agreement in the first place, and on which you regularly rely and may rely.
b. Except for the cases set out in para. c below, our liability (i) in the case of a culpable breach of material obligations, to the extent that it is not caused by gross negligence or intent, as well as (ii) in the case of a grossly negligent breach of other obligations by our employees or vicarious agents who are not legal representatives or executive officers, is limited to those Damages foreseeable at the time of conclusion of the Agreement, which typically arise in relationships of this nature.
c. Our statutory liability (i) according to the German Product Liability Act, (ii) for Damages arising from loss of life, bodily injury or damage to health, (iii) for Damages arising from fraudulently concealed defects, (iv) for Damages covered by a guarantee as to a certain quality of a product or service and (v) any other mandatory statutory liability that cannot be excluded or restricted by agreement between the Parties in advance, remains unaffected by the limitations and exclusions of liability set out in paras. a and b above.
Die Partner des Berliner Büros von Morrison & Foerster LLP praktizieren unter der folgenden Adresse:
Die Anwälte des Berliner Büros sind in Deutschland zugelassene Rechtsanwälte und Mitglieder der Rechtsanwaltskammer Berlin und/oder haben eine ausländische Anwaltszulassung und sind Mitglieder einer ausländischen Anwaltskammer oder vergleichbaren Vereinigung. Ein Partner ist auch als Notar tätig und Mitglied der Notarkammer Berlin.
Berufsordnungen und sonstiges maßgebendes Recht
Die vorgeschriebene Berufshaftpflichtversicherung besteht bei der ERGO Versicherung AG, Victoriaplatz 1, 40198 Düsseldorf. Die Versicherung erfüllt mindestens die gesetzlichen Vorschriften gemäß § 51 der Bundesrechtsanwaltsordnung (BRAO) und § 67 des Steuerberatungsgesetz (StBerG) in Verbindung mit §§ 51 ff. der Verordnung zur Durchführung der Vorschriften über Steuerberater, Steuerbevollmächtigte und Steuerberatungsgesellschaften (DVStB). Versicherungsschutz besteht für weltweite Tätigkeiten im Zusammenhang mit der Beratung und Beschäftigung mit europäischem Recht.
Morrison & Foerster LLP ist eine Personengesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung (Limited Liability Partnership) nach dem Recht des US-Staates Kalifornien, eingetragen beim Secretary of State, State of California, Sacramento, California (Registrierungsnummer 45391). Die persönliche Haftung der Partner als Gesellschafter von Morrison & Foerster LLP ist beschränkt. Eine Liste sämtlicher Partner des Berliner Büros von Morrison & Foerster LLP liegt in unserem Berliner Büro und auf unserer Website www.mofo.com zur Einsichtnahme bereit.
Zuständige Aufsichtsbehörden für die tätigen Notare sind der Präsident/die Präsidentin des Landgerichts Berlin, Littenstraße 12-17, 10179 Berlin, sowie der Präsident/die Präsidentin des Kammergerichts, Elßholzstraße 30-33, 10781 Berlin.
Die Bezeichnung "Partner (International)" beschreibt einen angestellten Anwalt der Morrison & Foerster LLP, der gleichzeitig auch Partner der Morrison & Foerster (International) LLP ist. Rechtsberatungsleistungen werden in Deutschland ausschließlich durch die Morrison & Foerster LLP, eine Partnerschaft mit beschränkter Haftung nach dem Recht des Staates Kalifornien, erbracht.
Plattform der EU-Kommission zur Online-Streitbeilegung: www.ec.europa.eu/consumers/odr
Besondere Bedingungen für Verbraucher in Deutschland
Wenn Ihr gewöhnlicher Wohnsitz in Deutschland liegt und Sie die Webseite als Verbraucher im Sinne der Verordnung (EG) Nr. 593/2008 (Rom I) nutzen, so finden folgende Besonderen Bedingungen Anwendung:
1. Anstelle von Ziffer 1 der Nutzungsbedingungen für die Webseite treten folgende Regelungen:
Durch die Nutzung der Webseite stimmen Sie den Nutzungsbedingungen und allen zusätzlichen Bedingungen, Regeln und Richtlinien zu, die wir auf der Webseite veröffentlichen oder Ihnen sonst zugänglich machen. Diese Nutzungsbedingungen inkorporieren hiermit alle solchen zusätzlichen Bedingungen, Regeln und Richtlinien durch Verweis. Wir können diese Nutzungsbedingungen von Zeit zu Zeit ändern, und wir können Sie über solche Änderungen in jeder zumutbaren Weise benachrichtigen, einschließlich durch die Veröffentlichung der geänderten Version dieser Nutzungsbedingungen auf der Webseite. Sie können das Datum der letzten Änderung oben am Punkt „LAST UPDATED“ erkennen. Ihre Nutzung der Webseite nach Änderungen der Nutzungsbedingungen gilt als Einverständnis mit den Änderungen. Änderungen finden nur mit Wirkung für die Zukunft Anwendung, also nur für Ihre Nutzung der Webseite nach dem Datum, zu dem wir die geänderten Nutzungsbedingungen veröffentlicht oder Sie sonst darüber benachrichtigt haben. Wir können jederzeit und ohne, dass dadurch Ansprüche Ihrerseits entstehen, die Webseite oder Teile davon ändern oder einstellen, einem Nutzer den Zugang zur Webseite verweigern, Gebühren für die Nutzung der Webseite erheben, ändern oder auf diese verzichten, oder bestimmte Angebote einigen oder allen Nutzern der Webseite zugänglich machen.
2. Anstelle von Ziffer 14 der Nutzungsbedingungen für die Webseite treten folgende Regelungen, nach denen sich unsere Haftung auf Ersatz von Schäden und vergeblichen Aufwendungen (gemeinsam der „Schaden“) unabhängig von der Anspruchsgrundlage ausschließlich richtet:
a. Mit Ausnahme der in Abs. c aufgeführten Fälle ist unsere Haftung für alle Schäden ausgeschlossen soweit die Schäden nicht (i) durch eine schuldhafte, d.h. mindestens fahrlässige Verletzung einer wesentlichen Vertragspflicht, die die Erfüllung des Vertragszwecks gefährdet, insbesondere durch eine schuldhafte Verletzung von 'Kardinalpflichten' verursacht wurden oder (ii) grob fahrlässig oder vorsätzlich verursacht wurden. Eine Kardinalpflicht ist eine wesentliche, vertragliche Verpflichtung deren Erfüllung die ordnungsgemäße Durchführung der Vereinbarung überhaupt erst ermöglicht und auf die Sie regelmäßig vertrauen und vertrauen dürfen.
b. Mit Ausnahme der in Abs. c aufgeführten Fälle ist unsere Haftung (i) im Fall einer schuldhaften Verletzung wesentlicher Pflichten, soweit diese nicht grob fahrlässig oder vorsätzlich verursacht wurde sowie (ii) im Fall einer grob fahrlässigen Verletzung sonstiger Pflichten durch Mitarbeiter oder Erfüllungsgehilfen, die weder gesetzliche Vertreter noch leitende Angestellte sind, auf die Schäden begrenzt, die bei Abschluss der Vereinbarung vorhersehbar waren und typischerweise bei Beziehungen dieser Art entstehen.
c. Unsere gesetzliche Haftung (i) nach dem deutschen Produkthaftungsgesetz, (ii) für Schäden aufgrund von Verletzungen von Leib, Leben oder Gesundheit, (iii) für Schäden aufgrund von arglistig verschwiegenen Mängeln, (iv) für Schäden, die von einer Garantie hinsichtlich einer bestimmten Qualität eines Produkts oder Services erfasst sind und (v) für jegliche sonstige zwingende gesetzliche Haftung, die nicht durch eine Vereinbarung zwischen den Parteien im Voraus begrenzt oder ausgeschlossen werden kann, bleibt von den in den vorstehenden Abs. a und b aufgeführten Haftungsausschlüssen und Haftungsbeschränkungen unberührt.