Jeff Silberman is a partner in the firm’s Financial Services Group where he provides business-oriented and strategic advice to FinTech companies and financial institutions.
Jeff’s focus includes bank/FinTech partnerships, online and app-based financial services, marketplace business models and capital markets matters. He has extensive experience advising financial institutions and high-growth companies on the various legal, regulatory, and operational complexities associated with creating digital-first financial products, Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) and licensing arrangements, and the adoption and scale of online, app and cloud-based business models.
Jeff regularly acts as external general counsel advising early and growth stage startups, as well as incumbent financial institutions, on all areas affecting their organizations. He works closely with senior management and boards of directors to provide practical legal and business advice.
Jeff has nearly two decades of legal experience in the FinTech, financial services, and capital markets space, including nine years as in-house and general counsel at prominent FinTech and financial services companies. Prior to joining Morrison & Foerster, he served as global co-chair of the FinTech practice at another leading international firm.
- Represented a B2B e-commerce marketplace with transactional and regulatory matters related to integrated financial products and payment services
- Represent a US challenger bank in creation of its platform, including sponsor bank documentation, formation and registration of its RIA and commercial relationships with executing broker-dealers
- Represented a FinTech platform on its mobile solar loan application, loan origination and forward flow facility
- Represented a leading FinTech platform in the negotiation and execution of master service agreements integrating its technology with marketplace lenders and online small business lenders
- Advised a crypto and digital asset advisory boutique on regulatory matters
- Counseled an Income Share Agreement platform on various forward flow purchase agreements
- Represented a point of sale finance platform with originating bank partnerships
- Represented a cloud-based voice trading and data collection platform on strategic partnerships, and broker-dealer integrations
- Counseled a digital point of sale finance platform on the creation of forward flow relationships for the sale of consumer loans
- Represented a SaaS platform in creation and negotiation of MSAs for broker-dealer, asset manager and insurance company integrations
- Represented leading FinTech lending platform in the creation of forward flow facilities for consumer loans
- Negotiated strategic partnerships, joint ventures and service agreements on behalf of leading Lending-as-a-Service FinTech platform
- Advised a growth stage VC Fund on its Series C investment in a FinTech platform focused on mortgage loan origination
- Represent a broker-dealer in the expansion of its platform to enable online transactions
- Advised a US Bank on its core system and various technology integrations
- Advised a growth stage VC Fund on its Series B investment in a FinTech platform offering AI solutions to reduce losses in auto, mortgage and retail lending
- Represent a broker-dealer in its Capital Acquisition Broker registration
- Represented a top US Bank in the structuring of its online wealth management platform, and related FinTech integrations
- Represented a NY based broker-dealer in FinTech and trading system licensing matters
- Counseled a US bank in the evaluation of digital lending business models, and the due diligence and creation of vendor relationships with FinTech service providers
- Counseled regional bank on the creation of its digital lending platform, including creation of related disclosure documents, loan agreements and internal operating procedures
- Provided general counsel on corporate and strategic matters to NY based broker dealer including establishment of new business lines, FINRA continuing membership applications, technology and other vendor licensing and service agreements and general employment matters
- Advised multiple credit unions on the origination and sale of digitally originated whole loans and loan participations