“ I work with clients on first–of–its–kind legal structures and credit facilities in developing countries. I see creative solutions and the ability to view both sides of an issue as keys to successfully closing any complex matter.
Jill’s practice focuses on international and domestic commercial finance transactions, with a special emphasis on domestic and international, bilateral, and syndicated commercial lending and impact investing credit transactions. Her diverse client mix includes:
- Agent banks, lenders, and borrowers in connection with domestic and international working capital facilities; acquisition finance credit agreements; agricultural and winery financings; and asset–based, equipment finance, and real estate secured credit facilities;
- Lenders and borrowers in connection with impact lending in developing countries;
- Senior, subordinated, and pari–passu lenders in multi–tiered credit facilities; and
- Investors in renewable energy facilities in connection with royalty–based development finance transactions.
Because her practice involves highly complex transactions, Jill often creates unique finance structures to meet the needs of her clients. She develops creative solutions that preserve her clients’ financial and operational objectives while accommodating the requirements of the other parties to the transaction. Her goal is the ultimate success of the deal and her clients’ satisfaction with the terms of those agreements.
Jill has been recognized as a leading lawyer in Bank Lending by IFLR1000 in 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016. For the past seven years, she has also been recommended by Best Lawyers in America as a leading lawyer in Project Finance.
- Represented a developer in connection with project development loans to finance the construction of a 21.5 MW biomass power project in Hawaii, including the equity conversion of such loans and the refinancing with a mezzanine construction loan.
- Represented a lender in connection with a $2.5 million bridge loan during the negotiations for the acquisition of a biomass energy facility in Hawaii.
- Represented a private equity fund in the development financing of wind power royalty assets. The transaction was structured as a multiple draw term loan facility, the proceeds of which were used by the borrower to develop a portfolio of wind projects located across the United States.
- Represented a private equity fund in the development of more than 10,000 MW of wind power facilities in the Western United States through royalty-generating joint venture arrangements.
- Represented one of the largest landowners in Hawaii in connection with negotiating land rights and development agreements for a proposed wind power facility to be developed on the Island of Oahu.
- Represented a private equity fund in financings of solar generating facilities for commercial industrial facilities located in Hawaii and Southern California.
- Represented a private equity fund in negotiating and structuring a financing facility for residential rooftop solar installations.
- Represented agents for syndicates of Taiwanese banks in the documentation and negotiation of loans in the amounts of $270 million to $850 million secured by various plastics manufacturing complex in Texas, Louisiana, and South Carolina.
- Represented a staffing company in connection with a $69 million secured multicurrency loan facility with separate borrowing base loans in the U.S., England, and Australia, and the take-out financing of that loan facility.
- Represented the borrower in a $435 million loan secured by the assets of a theater chain.
- Represented the agent for a syndicate of lenders in the documentation and negotiation of a $250 million asset-based loan to a real estate investment trust, and the taking of nine commercial and mixed use real estate properties in Southern California as collateral.
- Represented private equity firm GESD Capital Partners, through its portfolio wine company Ascentia Wine Estates, in a secured, syndicated revolving credit facility in connection with an acquisition of eight wineries located in California, Oregon, and Washington, from Constellation Brands.
- Represented the agent for a syndicate of lenders in connection with a $115 million syndicated revolving letter and multicurrency letter of credit facility to one of California's largest wineries, secured by winery assets.
- Represented the agent for a syndicate of lenders in connection with an $800 million syndicated term loan, revolving letter, and multicurrency letter of credit facility to one of California’s largest wineries, secured by the stock of operating subsidiaries.
- Represented a major U.S. healthcare provider in the documentation of leases for a variety of medical equipment.
- In connection with the bankruptcy of Air Canada, negotiated the transfer of ownership of several aircraft from the equity investor to debt investors; documented aircraft trusts, claims trusts, and aircraft management and storage agreements; and negotiated and documented the eventual sale of the aircraft.
- In connection with defaults and bankruptcy actions by America West Airlines, represented a group of Japanese lenders in the restructuring of various aircraft leveraged lease transactions.