Larry Medvinsky is widely recognized as a creative, commercially focused attorney who guides clients through complex transactions.
Larry has nearly 30 years of experience advising boards of directors, public and private companies, and executive management teams on a broad range of corporate transactions. His practice focuses on representing issuers and underwriters, particularly in the REIT and Specialty Finance spaces, in IPOs and securities offerings, private equity and other sponsors in the raising of capital for funds, private REITs, and permanent capital vehicles and other private companies in transactions such as mergers and acquisitions (including UPREIT and DownREIT, and real estate acquisitions), joint ventures, dispositions, and other exit transactions, among others.
Larry has been ranked in Chambers USA and Legal 500 USA since 2009 for his work in the REIT Capital Markets. Prior to joining the firm, he was a partner at another international law firm in New York.
Larry is a member of the National Association of Real Estate Investment Trusts (Nareit) and Urban Land Institute. He has been a member of the Board of Directors of the University of Florida Foundation since 2019.
IPOs and Equity and Debt Capital Markets
- Represented Endurance Acquisition Corp. (NASDAQ: EDNCU) in its $200 million initial public offering.
- Represented Empire State Realty Trust, owner of the iconic Empire State Building, on its $1 billion NYSE listed IPO representing one of the largest REIT IPOs in US history, including utilizing a unique first of its kind voting security that allowed sponsors to effectively vote their OP Units and the listing of three classes of OP Units on NYSE ARCA. The proxy solicitation (including a hostile, very publicized public proxy fight) and consolidation of over 30 entities (including the public roll-up of three entities) to form Empire Realty Trust.
- Represented Issuers/Underwriters in general board representations, governance and ESG matters, general corporate matters and a variety of common, preferred, convertible preferred, debt, convertible debt, forward purchases, unit investment trust and trust preferred offerings for over 40 public REITs, Real Estate Operating Companies, BDCs and other investment companies.
Platform Creations/Capital Raises
- Represented Cantor Fitzgerald in a strategic joint venture with Silverstein Properties to pursue opportunity zone acquisitions and fund formations including representing Cantor Silverstein Opportunity Zone Fund Trust, LLC, an opportunity zone fund that qualifies as a REIT, in its formation, multiple private fund raising rounds and various acquisitions.
- Represented CNL Financial Group, a private investment management firm in connection with a strategic joint venture with Levine Partners to form CNL Strategic Opportunities Partners, LLC a vehicle intended to acquire controlling equity interests and debt interests in middle market operating companies; the IPO of CNL Strategic in a continuous registered non-traded offering; several concurrent private offerings; and the acquisition of interests in certain companies.
- Represented several sponsors in a variety of fund formations and continuing structuring and investment activities for such funds, including Colony Capital, UBS Capital Americas, Prudential Real Estate, Glenmont Realty, Conventus Mortgage, CBRE Global, Lend Lease, Resource Capital and Antarctica Capital.
Strategic Joint Ventures
- Represented China Merchant Bank and China Life Insurance in its strategic joint venture with a Site Center Corp.
- Represented Antarctica Capital, LLC, a global investment manager, in connection with a strategic joint venture with TIAA to act as the managing member and investment manager for a consortium of funds that acquired a portfolio of parking assets.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Represented Keystone Property Trust in its public sale to Eaton Vance, ASR in its public sale to UDR, Gramercy Property Trust in its public acquisition of American Financial Realty and SL Green in its public acquisition of Reckson Realty.
*Includes prior firm experience