“ I enjoy partnering with my clients to identify and manage risks in support of their corporate strategies and vision.
Mike focuses on mergers and acquisitions, including private and public acquisitions of technology and life sciences companies on both the buy-side and target-side, and venture capital transactions, as well as on emerging company counseling.
For his M&A clients, Mike advises on domestic and cross-border deal structuring and mechanics relating to stock and asset purchases, mergers, divestitures, tender offers, joint ventures, spin-offs and restructurings.
Mike also represents a number of venture capital firms, corporate venture capital divisions and emerging companies, both in the technology and life science industries, with respect to venture capital transactions, negotiations and structuring, as well as general emerging company counseling.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- McAfee in its acquisition of Skyhigh Networks, Inc., a worldwide leader in the cloud access security broker (CASB) market segment.
- VMware, Inc. in its $1.54 billion acquisition of AirWatch, a mobile device management provider.
- VMware, Inc. in its acquisition of Desktone, Inc., a Massachusetts-based company that pioneered Desktops as a Service (DaaS), delivering desktops and applications as a cloud service.
- VMware, Inc. in its acquisition of the Mountain View-based cloud networking startup VeloCloud™ Networks, Inc.
- VMware, Inc. in its acquisition of Wavefront, a metrics monitoring service for cloud and modern application environments.
- VMware, Inc. in the sale of the rights to its VMware vCloud Government Service, a FedRAMP-compliant solution that was developed in partnership between QTS and VMware to deliver cloud services to the Federal sector, to QTS Realty Trust, an international provider of data center, managed hosting, and cloud services.
- VMware, Inc. in the sale of its vCloud Air business.
- VMware, Inc. in its acquisition of CloudVelox, a designer of cloud automation and optimization software.
- VMware, Inc. in its acquisition of AetherPal, Inc., a market leader in mobile support.
- VMware, Inc. in its acquisition of Cloudcoreo, a next-generation cloud security service.
- VMware, Inc. in its acquisition of BitRock, Inc. (doing business as Bitnami), a leader in application packaging solutions.
- Walmart and its Global eCommerce division in a strategic alliance with JD.com, China’s largest e-commerce company by revenue, in a transaction that included Walmart’s acquisition of an equity stake in JD.com valued at approximately $1.5 billion.
- Walmart in its acquisition of assets of Art.com, the world’s largest online retailer in the art and wall décor category.
- Walmart in its acquisition of Bare Necessities, an online retailer of women’s bras, swimwear, shapewear and sleepwear.
- Walmart in its acquisition of Eloquii, Inc., a retailer of women’s apparel specifically designed for women size 14 and up.
- McKesson Corporation, a leading international healthcare services and information technology company, in its acquisitions of Vantage Oncology, LLC, a leading national provider of radiation oncology, medical oncology and integrated cancer care, and Biologics, Inc., an oncology pharmacy services company. The combined value of the two transactions is $1.2 billion.
- McKesson Corporation in its acquisition of LABSCO, a privately held, Kentucky-based distributor of diagnostic equipment for community hospital labs and private office labs.
- McKesson Corporation in the $130 million sale of ZEE Medical to Cintas Corporation, the publicly traded uniform and first aid products company.
- McKesson Corporation in the restructuring and divestiture of McKesson’s VITAL Platform to private equity firm Comvest Investment Partners.
- Intel Corporation in its acquisition of Basis Science, Inc., a wearable fitness watch company.
- Intel Corporation in its acquisition of Mashery, Inc. via a reverse triangular merger.
- Intel Corporation in the acquisition of a Korean computer vision company.
- Intel Corporationin the asset purchase of a digital media design company.
- Santen Pharmaceutical in its acquisition of InnFocus, a development stage medical device company.
- RNTS Media N.V. in its acquisition of Heyzap, Inc., a mobile advertising network company based in San Francisco.
- Link_A_Media, the California-based storage solution company, in its acquisition by SK Hynix Inc., a Korea-based semiconductor supplier.
- Mykonos Software, Inc.,the leading provider of Intrusion Deception Systems that protect websites and web applications, in its $80 million acquisition by Juniper Networks, Inc., a leader in network innovation.
- Mobile Money Ventures, LLC, a joint venture that combined the strengths of Citigroup, a leading, global financial services company, and SK Telecom Americas, an early-stage technology innovator, in its sale of assets to Intuit, Inc.
- InSound Medical, Inc., a developer and manufacturer of next-generation hearing solutions, in its acquisition by Phonak AG, a subsidiary of Sonova AG.
- Infonox on the Web, deliver of an array of payment products on self-service and full-service transaction touchpoints which are used in gaming, banking and retail markets, in its acquisition by Total System Services, Inc., electronic payment service provider.
- Taiho Ventures (an investment arm of Taiho Pharmaceuticals) in its strategic investments in multiple startup companies.
- Astellas Venture Management (an investment arm of Astellas Pharma) in multiple venture capital investments, including both early- and late-stage investments.
- Santen Pharmaceutical in multiple venture capital investments, including both early- and late-stage investments.
- Spectrum28 (an early-stage investment fund) in multiple seed investments.
- Longitude Capital in multiple venture capital investments, including both early- and late-stage investments, as well as cross-border investments.
- New Enterprise Associates and Oak Investment Partners as sellers and continuing shareholders in a strategic alliance between their portfolio company Lianlian Group, a China-based mobile services company, and American Express.
- Snaplogic, a cloud and data integration company, in its Series A, Series B and Series C financing rounds.
- DNAnexus, a provider of cloud-based genome informatics and data management, in its incorporation and Series A and Series B financing rounds.
- Sight Sciences, an ophthalmic medical device company, in its Series A and Series B financing rounds.
- Sugarfina, Inc., a luxury candy brand that now operates over 30 boutiques and Nordstrom shop-in-shops across North America, in its Series B Preferred Stock financing.