Randy, co-chair of the firm’s Latin America Desk and partner in the Corporate Department, advises multinational clients in connection with cross-border mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, securities and finance transactions throughout Central and South America, the Caribbean, Europe and the United States.
Randy has advised numerous European global corporations in connection with establishing and developing their U.S. presences, as well as managing their Latin American operations. He also represents issuers in equity and debt offerings and exchange listings.
Randy’s mergers and acquisitions work has focused on international cross-border mergers and acquisitions across a broad range of sectors, including financial services, telecommunications, media, entertainment, energy, agriculture, manufacturing and food and beverage.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Represented a Salvadoran banking and insurance services provider in its purchase of the consumer banking business and insurance business of several other Latin American banking services providers.
- Represented a U.S. private equity real estate firm in its acquisition of a 30% stake in a leading developer, acquirer and operator of hotels in Latin America, and in the subsequent acquisition of an owner and operator of a chain of hotels in Latin America, creating a US$700 million hotel conglomerate throughout Central and South America and the Caribbean.
- Represented various private equity investors, including a member company of the Cisneros Group of Companies, in a 50% investment in a leading food and beverage investor, and subsequent acquisitions of several Latin American confectionary manufacturers.
- Represented several global investment firms in a joint venture to form Mexico’s second-largest independent telecommunications tower business. The joint venture manages more than 550 towers in Mexico.
- Represented a joint venture across insurance providers in Panama, Colombia, the United States and Brazil in an investment in a surety and general liability joint venture in Colombia.
- Represented Panamanian insurance providers in the acquisition of a U.S. insurance corporation’s operations in El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Panama.
- Represented an Australian print and lithography company in the acquisition of a U.S. full-service provider of point of purchase (POP) retail display and other advertising solutions to blue-chip retailers and brand owners in the U.S.
- Represented stockholders of the owner, operator and leading developer of wind projects in Central America in the sale of a 70% majority interest of ERM to a leading European energy company, actively developing economically sustainable energy solutions for the emerging markets of Africa, the Americas and Asia.
- Represented a privately held company based in Miami and best known for several leading Hispanic coffee brands in the $360 million sale of its coffee brands and business operations to a U.S. food and beverage manufacturer.
- Represented the stockholders of an international construction equipment leasing company operating through more than 30 subsidiaries in Costa Rica, Panama, El Salvador, Trinidad & Tobago, Puerto Rico, Guatemala, Nicaragua and Mexico in its sale to an affiliate of a worldwide industrial services company serving global industries, including infrastructure, metals, railways and energy.
- Represented a leading U.S. financial institution in the purchase from a multinational European financial institution of a US$950 million Latin America loan portfolio including more than 100 syndicated, bilateral and multilateral loans in Argentina, Chile, Peru, Venezuela, El Salvador, Guatemala, Costa Rica and Mexico.
- Representation of the consortium of investors in its acquisition of the business and assets of the Latin American and Caribbean operations of a leading global restaurant chain; the agreement, valued at more than US$700 million, resulted in the sale of approximately 1,600 existing restaurants in 18 jurisdictions.
- Represented a leading hybrid corn and agricultural seed developer and seed production company with operations in Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Colombia and Venezuela in its sale to a U.S. agrochemical and agricultural biotechnology company.
- Represented a Salvadoran financial conglomerate in the sale of a majority interest to a leading Panamanian financial institution. The transaction was conducted by a public tender offer through the Salvadoran Stock Exchange.
- Represented a Salvadoran financial institution in its US$900 million sale to Colombia's largest full-service financial institution conducted through simultaneous tender offers in Panama and El Salvador.
- Represented Costa Rica’s largest privately owned bank as U.S. counsel in its US$293.5 million sale to one of Canada’s largest financial institutions, through a tender offer conducted through the Stock Exchange of Costa Rica.
- Represented the largest telecommunications company in Spain in numerous transactions throughout Latin America and the United States, including the US$5.7 billion acquisition of one of the largest U.S.-based internet services and online content provider, the US$1.36 billion acquisition of a Mexican wireless carrier, and the US$250 million acquisition of a customer services company in Brazil.
- Represented Costa Rican and U.S. issuers in the refinancing of an existing facility through the issuance and private placement of US$250 million in notes to affiliates of a U.S. insurance provider.
- Represented telecommunications and infrastructure companies in Chile and Peru in syndicated term loan facilities with Chilean and Peruvian branches of a leading multinational bank.
- Represented a leading private equity investor in growth markets across Latin America in its US$120 million revolving credit facility with a leading multinational bank.
- Represented a Costa Rican tower operator in its term loan agreement with a leading commercial bank in Costa Rica.
- Represented one of the largest financial services firms in the world in syndicated credit facilities, acquisition finance facilities and other financing transactions in various industries throughout Latin America, including in Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Panama, Dominican Republic and Nicaragua.
- Represented a Salvadoran retailer in connection with US$300 million multicurrency financings secured by assets in 11 different Caribbean jurisdictions. The acquisition was consummated in part through public offers in Jamaica and Barbados.
- Represented the manager and operator of 52 airport facilities in Argentina, Italy, Brazil, Uruguay, Ecuador, Armenia and Peru in its US$485 million initial public offering (IPO) on the NYSE.
- Represented German foreign private issuers in various industries in connection with initial public offerings and Nasdaq listings.
- Represented underwriter in multiple follow-on offerings for a nanotechnology-focused closed-end investment fund.