Morrison Foerster offers a free ten-part series on the legal side of founding a startup. This weekly Friday seminar will arm you with the knowledge needed to manage the legal aspects of launching, funding, and growing a startup, with insights to avoid common mistakes that can have serious consequences down the road. We are excited to share that we plan to host this cycle of ScaleUp Speaker Series as a hybrid event offering participants the option to either attend virtually or in person in our Palo Alto office at 755 Page Mill Road, Palo Alto, CA, and kindly note that we will also provide lunch.
- Incorporating a Startup - April 14, 2023. Learn key differences between types of legal entities and how they impact the ability to raise capital, build a workforce and achieve a successful company exit.
- Intellectual Property Basics - April 21, 2023. Learn the basics of the different types of IP, how they add value to your startup, and missteps to avoid that may prevent you from protecting your IP.
- Raising Angel Investment (including Convertible Note Financings) - April 28, 2023. Learn the most common angel investment structures and practices in seed stage investing (including debt, equity and hybrid approaches) and an introduction to the preferred stock terms that form the basis of venture capital investments.
- Raising Venture Capital Investment (Deal Terms and Structures) - May 5, 2023. Learn the basic concepts, structures, and math behind venture capital investments, including capital structures, term sheets, and capitalization and liquidation models.
- Most Common Legal Mistakes of Startup Entrepreneurs - May 12, 2023. Learn more than a dozen common mistakes, their impact on startups, and how to avoid them in the first place.
- Startup Equity Incentives - May 19, 2023. Learn the basics of customary equity incentives and how they are used to attract and retain top talent in a competitive market. We will discuss founder vesting, restricted stock, and stock options (including ISOs and NSOs).
- Follow-On Venture Financing Complexities - June 2, 2023. Learn how startups and investors manage down rounds, recapitalizations, pay-to-play financings, and other complexities that arise only in the second and subsequent rounds of financing.
- Selling Your Startup - June 9, 2023. Learn the differences among acquisition structures, fundamental merger and acquisition (M&A) terms, and an overview of definitive M&A agreements and processes.
- Initial Public Offerings - June 16, 2023. Learn about the steps necessary when considering an IPO, including the process and timing, and life as a U.S. public company
- Open Forum Recap - June 30, 2023. Join our interactive open forum where you can ask startup expert attorneys questions on topics raised during earlier sessions or startup legal questions generally.
To Register, Kindly contact Andrew Perez at ECVCevents@mofo.com