Tom is an associate in the Finance Department and a member of the Business Restructuring & Insolvency Group. In these roles, he advises clients in all aspects of financing and restructuring transactions and in secondary market debt trading activities. His practice includes representing creditors in out-of-court restructurings of distressed debt, exchange offers, refinancing and recapitalization transactions, and as lenders in debtor-in-possession financing facilities.
More generally, Tom represents lenders and borrowers in leveraged finance transactions, including both senior and subordinated/mezzanine loan facilities. He also has significant experience representing indenture trustees and administrative agents in a range of deal structures, both in the restructuring context and in the new money issuance of loans and debt securities, including high-yield and convertible notes.
On the trading side, Tom advises investment funds, commercial lenders, and other entities in secondary market debt transactions. He counsels clients in the review and analysis of credit documentation relating to investments and loan trades and assists clients with issues related to trading and settlement of loans and securities.
- An ad hoc group of bondholders in connection with the bankruptcy of Sanchez Energy, including the negotiation and documentation for a $150 million debtor-in-possession term loan and two series of convertible PIK notes issued by the company following its exit from bankruptcy.
- An ad hoc group of bondholders in connection with the bankruptcy of EP Energy, based around the restructuring of $1 billion of senior secured notes and the issuance of DTC-eligible equity securities pursuant to the plan of reorganization.
- An asset manager and major bondholder in the out-of-court restructuring of Associated Materials, LLC, a comprehensive deleveraging and recapitalization process through an exchange offer for $675 million of senior secured notes, the refinancing of existing credit facilities, and the issuance of $250 million of new money senior secured notes.
- A CDO manager as the largest financial creditor and party to a restructuring support agreement in connection with the bankruptcy of RAIT Funding, LLC, a major REIT.
- A financial services company in a multi-step, out-of-court restructuring and recapitalization transaction, including the redemption of existing debt securities in exchange for cash and multiple tiers of new equity units, the refinancing of existing credit facilities, and a new money investment.
- A pair of CDO managers as the senior creditors in the bankruptcy of Novation Companies, Inc., including the negotiation of a consensual chapter 11 plan and the documentation for an $80 million senior secured exit credit agreement.
- An ad hoc group of bondholders in the bankruptcy of Southeastern Grocers, including the negotiation and documentation for a $475 million exit term loan facility.
- The official committee of unsecured creditors in the bankruptcy of Avianca Holdings, a South American airline, on the terms of a $1.988 billion senior secured debtor-in-possession financing facility.
- The lead lender and administrative agent for a $750 million revolving credit facility to a publicly-held cyber security company.
- A major investment fund on the submission of competitive bids and the purchase of $63 million loan facility issued by Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.
- The indenture trustee in connection with multiple exchange offers and liability management transactions by a major media company.
- The indenture trustee in a series of cross-border issuances of convertible notes.
- The administrative agent in multiple private lending transactions.