“Widely renowned for its exceptional reputation in cross-border TMT matters across the USA, Europe and Asia.”
— Chambers Global 2019: TMT
Our dedicated team is at the forefront of the media and entertainment industry. We help our clients drive their businesses forward by anticipating their needs and tackling the regulatory obstacles and new challenges presented in a digitized era, and by having a thorough understanding of the new business models, disruptive technologies, and innovations that are reshaping the industry.
Our media and entertainment practice supports clients across all of our offices on three continents. With nearly four decades of experience, we regularly advise a wide range of industry players, from major media groups, production and distribution houses, as well as major film studios, to TV broadcasters, VoD and streaming platforms, music labels, investors, gaming companies, innovative media startups, licensors, and individual artists in transactions and at the intersection of technology, digitization, and copyright.
What sets us apart from the competition is our in-depth industry understanding, international framework, and strong global transactional record, combined with our deep knowledge of local markets, enabling us to align standards, facilitate processes, and bring projects to success.
“Best known for its advice on media transactions due to its long expertise and impressively strong track-record.”
— Legal 500 Europe 2019: Media & Entertainment
Supporting media stakeholders in growing their business in Germany and around the world, as well as ensuring that their projects are successfully realized, constitutes the core of our offering. Examples of our work include:
- Actively advising SoundCloud on its international M&A transactions
- Advising Haim Saban on the acquisition of the ProSiebenSat.1 Media Group
- Advising News Corporation/21st Century Fox on the acquisition and sale of Sky Deutschland
“MoFo helps Homeland find a home in Germany … it’s like crossing the bridge making sure that Hollywood standards are adhered to.”
— The American Lawyer
We also assist global streaming platforms on their international expansion into Europe and Asia and support them by providing 360° advice regarding regulatory, commercial, transactional, and licensing matters, as well as the production of local language content. We have a strong track record in sports, especially in the acquisition of large broadcasting rights packages (e.g., packages to the UEFA Champions League and Germany’s Bundesliga).
Our internationally renowned film and entertainment practice is the go-to-team for clients who appreciate a hands-on approach, coupled with deep industry knowledge in local and global markets. We are widely connected in the film and entertainment industry and regularly provide comprehensive advice to leading entertainment companies along the whole life cycle of their projects, from financing, funding, and development, to sourcing and licensing of content, to the production and distribution of high-profile feature films and TV shows.
“They understand very quickly case background and can build an action plan very quickly. They are responsive and accessible.”
— Client feedback in Chambers Asia-Pacific 2019: TMT
In order for our clients to succeed and grow, we need to anticipate and tackle any risks they may encounter. Given our broad cross-border and cross-practice capabilities, we have great insight into the particular risks media companies face today, and we can anticipate the risks that are likely to come tomorrow. This knowledge helps us support our clients and find them the best possible solutions to help them drive their businesses forward, including:
- Protecting IP and data privacy
- Responding to Brexit or new legislation, such as the EU Copyright Directive or China’s new Cyber Security Law
- Resolving disputes and regulatory issues, such as developing licensing strategies and implementing youth protection systems
- Handling business risks in relation to illegal streaming services or the mandatory information and remuneration provisions of individual copyright owners
Examples of our work include:
- Helping global internet service company United Internet tackle regulatory hurdles when structuring a complex, multi-party data platform built around a single sign-on service, which enables its partners and customers to benefit in real time from available customer profiles.
- Advising a voice assistant developer, among others, on privacy and regulatory issues and a major social media platform on the changing EU copyright framework applicable to user-uploaded content.
“What’s kept me using them? It’s a combination of very smart attorneys who understand the issues that tech companies face and a practical way of giving advice and solutions.”
— Client feedback in Chambers USA 2019: TMT/ IT + Outsourcing
Old tricks won’t open new doors. We get that and understand that this is particularly true in the fast-paced and creative media and entertainment industry. We often assist clients with navigating major tech developments and their implications on the sector. We were among the first firms with a dedicated social media team, which today provides advice on mobile applications, drafts internal guidelines for reviewing online content, and helps with the creation, monitoring, and maintenance of corporate social media pages for media companies. Another example is our advice regarding the implications of 5G on the media sector, whether it is changing consumer-streaming demand on mobile devices or autonomous vehicles becoming an important platform for distributing media content. We are also increasingly involved in matters related to the use of artificial intelligence (AI) and robotics and virtual reality/augmented reality (VR/AR) technology as well as e-sports, gaming, audiovisual toy manufacturing, and many other sectors at the intersection of technology, digitization, and copyright. A number of our lawyers lecture on media law at leading international law and business schools and we regularly cooperate with industry associations on thought leadership campaigns. Simply put, we are media and entertainment enthusiasts who always love to pick up and discuss new trends in the industry.
- SoundCloud, one of the largest music and audio platforms worldwide, on the restructuring of its business in Germany and the UK, and all corporate matters, as well as on additional commercial issues and international acquisitions.
- Various Hollywood studios, renowned producers, and international on-demand platforms on major co-productions of feature films and television series, including Homeland, Grand Budapest Hotel, Berlin Station, etc.
- Local Divisions of international entertainment companies on the development and production of local language content on the business as well as legal side, including Golden Twenties, Plan B, Heilstaetten, Break up Man, etc.
- Major international toy company at the intersection of toys, merchandising, and filmed entertainment.
- Various international streaming and social media platforms on recent EU Copyright developments.
- Leading European media company 1&1 on the set-up of an IPTV platform, including drafting and negotiations of the necessary development, licensing, and operating contracts with the providers of the technical IPTV solutions and set-top boxes as well as on the licensing agreements with the providers of live TV programs (free-pay and pay TV) and VoD services.
- AccuWeather in negotiating the technology development and data collaborations aspects of the joint venture with Huafeng Media Group, the commercial weather media company owned by the China Meteorological Administration.
- Internationally renowned artist Martin Eder in a copyright case defending the freedom of the art as guaranteed by the German Constitution.